1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Union fees - can we claim some of it back?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by birdstock, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Just a quick and possibly daft question but I'm sure I heard someone in the staffroom talking about being able to claim back a certain percentage of union fees via the lovely people at the tax office. Is it true? I've been paying for 7 years. Sounds too good to be true to me...
  2. Just a quick and possibly daft question but I'm sure I heard someone in the staffroom talking about being able to claim back a certain percentage of union fees via the lovely people at the tax office. Is it true? I've been paying for 7 years. Sounds too good to be true to me...
  3. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    You can get tax relief on the amount paid.
  4. Thank you Middlemarch. How does one go about that (or is it somehow sorted out automatically in pay packets like it often is with the GTC fees)? Thank you for your help!
  5. Write to (or phone) your tax office. They are very helpful (well they were with OH earlier this year when she was claiming) and they will tell you what evidence they will need to process your claim. Be quick as you can only claim back six years of outstanding contributions.
  6. Forgot to mention the tax office will just adjust your code for the next year - you won't see a nice cheque in your post.
  7. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    You're allowed to claim subscriptions to professional bodies against tax. It's one of the few things you can claim as a teacher. Ring the tax office responsible for your tax coding and speak with them, it may not be necessary to fill any forms in.

    What annoys me about all this is when I used to moonlight as a Collectables dealer at weekends and was taxed separately on those earnings I was able to claim a proportion of the cost of my computer against tax, but could I as an ICT teacher? No.
  8. Thank you folks! I'll give them a call. So how does it affect your pay packet then if your code is just adjusted? I have been paying monthly fees to the NASUWT now for 7 years (although I understand I can only claim 6 years).
  9. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    You'll probably find the exact amounts of fees over the last few years on the NASUWT website if you don't know them already. As far as I know your back claim should result in some extra tax rebate pennies in a future pay packet, and your Code will be adjusted by the £160 a year or so subscription that you're currently paying, assuming you're full time.
  10. Your tax code will be adjusted to pay back what you are owed, so if you are due, say £120 your tax code will be adjusted by that amount and you will see an extra £10 a month for a year. I am currently paying back about £900 owed previously, in this tax year (the Inland Revenue being unable to track a pension and a part time job at the same time) so when I get to next April I'll feel really flush with an extra £75 in my monthly pension.

    IIRC Mrs Dekka needed evidence of the union subs paid for the period she was claiming and also evidence (salary slips) of where she was employed as a teacher.
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    getting tax relief is not the same thing as getting some of your Union fees back. It simply means that you are not liable for tax on the allowable portion of your Union fees.
    You can claim back for the last 6 tax years and can get the tax refund paid into your bank account if you wish. The current year's allowance, though, will always be an adjustment to your tax code so that you pay less tax each month.
    You cannot just inform you tax office of the amounts you have paid in each of the last 6 tax years. You need to contact your Union first and establish what proportion of the fees is eligible for tax relief. The Union should also be able to send you a full statement of all your payments in the relevant years.
    The NUT, for instance, has a political levy in the fees and that part is not eligible for tax relief. You can claim TAX RELIEF on nine tenths of NUT fees.
    With other Unions the amounts allowable may differ and some are 100% qualifying.
    For every £10 of allowable fees, you get back £2 if you are a Basic Rate (20%) taxpayer and £4 if you are Higher Rate taxpayer.
    You should also be claiming tax relief on the £36-50 that you currently pay to the GTC. Check back what the fee was in the last 6 years too.
    Although LA teachers get an extra £33 in pay for GTC purposes, it is taxed and has other deductions taken off it too. You then pay the full fee to the GTC and claiming Tax Relief on that (£7-30 or £14-60 reduced tax ) makes the overal cost to you negligible.
    You can inform the Inland revenue by letter about GTC payments that you make or you can download a Tax relief form from their website (one for each tax year that you are claiming for) and send it ,completed and signed, to the tax office.
    Those who have to pay for CRB checks can also claim tax relief on the costs involved.

  12. Wow thank you for all your help! I'll give NASUWT a call then.

Share This Page