1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union busting US head of Ofsted

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mr. Numb, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Mr. Numb

Mr. Numb New commenter

According to the Times and the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35572271

Apparently, Nicky Morgan wants to hire an American with a track record of "taking on the unions" to be the next head of Ofsted. The Tories really are merciless - our UK unions are as meek as lamb yet the Tories want to make sure they are yet again made the target of further attacks and disempowerment. It's all to peddle the right-wing myth that the UK has Trotskyite unions who resist progress and hold children back. A new struggle with unions will also allow the government to put up a smokescreen for the upcoming problems in state education. The Tories will not relent until teachers have become a totally de-professionalised work force with even lower pay and worse conditions. Grim times ahead ...

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's about as rooted in reality as the perception that we are all indoctrinated on Trotskyite PGCE courses . .

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think the attraction is that the person was in charge of the Charter Schools over there. It is simply a case of trying to find the "magic bullet" that so many governments have tried to do in the past.

To be honest I don't think this person could actually make things worse but might end end giving more of the same. (which is bad enough)

I'm just glad I'm out of it.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

YES! They've been peddling this myth for years now and all of us who did PGCEs continue to be astonished by it.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Trouble is, the U.S. and the U.K. use a different calibre of bullets.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Actually they don't, the 5,56mm round is the standard round for NATO forces and used by both the US and UK.

But I'm just being pedantic and both understand and agree with your point that the US and UK have different approaches to Education (and many other matters).

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

From my experience of US schools in Chicago there is little they can teach us academically. When I took groups of our yr 10 and 11 kids there they would wipe the floor with their juniors and seniors (yr 12/13) . If they could teach us anything it would be their vocational courses which were streets ahead of ours. In Chicago schools are funded according to house prices in their area so perversely schools in affluent areas are better funded than schools in poorer areas. Perhaps this is what Morgan has in mind?

JL48 likes this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My friends took their children to the US for a year. They expected them not to make any progress but they actually went backwards. And the there's the absurd US practice of requiring every pupil to bring in all their own equipment, including exercise books, pens, scissors, ringbinders and highlighters. You can imagine the disagreements that break out all the time when one child uses another child's stuff. Madness. And all to keep their taxes low. Americans are really stupid.

It's true about the funding. My nephew and nieces go to school in a very affluent area near DC (with their little back packs full of their own 'stuff') and have every advantage, including every high school having its own theatre. It's the same philosophy as their health care, which is fine if you can pay for yourself (and don't have to pay much tax) but a disaster if you're poor. Yay! Let's follow that and see where it leads us. Very depressing.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Point about "the magic bullet" is that the Government thinks it can import something which gets rid of all the problems and makes everything in the garden lovely.

In fact, most other countries have some sort of angst about their education system and are doing all sorts of things to try to sort it out.

I think the answer, if found, will be in the form of a slow evolution rather than some instant "quack cure".

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Americans and bullets - don't get me started!

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Likewise. a Colleague of mine spent a couple of years out there and reckoned her kids just marked time in class. They were grateful when her husband's contract expired and they could come home.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On the bright side when we were in Chicago in 2013 we needed to buy some extra luggage and a friend took us to a charity shop. We bought a wheeled backpack for $6 and the previous owner had not removed all the school supplies so we won loads of stuff!

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Hey you know, on the PGs I say to them, I don't want you to be a clone of your mentor. I don't want you to just copy what goes on at your school. You have to be much stronger and be able to justify your own approach to teaching based on a mix of your wider reading, mentoring, reflection and experience through teaching your own classes. You have to be ready to teach in any school next September whether it is an inner city with EALs or a rural white working class or a top independent school. If that's not Trotskyite thinking then I don't know what is.

Lara mfl 05 and Middlemarch like this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Having worked in American Schools, I have to say that they vary hugely. But I will take the general point that they are generally behind the UK academically. I do think that the preGove British system was much better. That said the fiercely guarded independence of US teachers is enviable. They way that they are seeing off Common Core is enviable.

I also do like the 'buy your own stuff' rule, as well as the 'wear your own stuff' rule. Kids tend to take care of things they consider theirs far more. As for uniform, if a kid had green hair and earrings, I really don't care if they are doing their homework and learning in class. The constant "tuck your shirt in" of British schools becomes irritating.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think that you're thinking too deeply. A Trotskyite teacher to a Tory is one that looks like Jeremy Corbyn, drinks coffee in the staffroom with their feet up reading the Grauniad, and just waits for the 3.30 bell, Friday evening or the next NUT strike day.

Oh, and refuses to teach facts or grammar, and wants to take young offenders on trips to the Bahamas.

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The Government seem to be doing a pretty good union busting job without getting anyone in to help. After all it's not as if the unions have ever stopped any reforms - the ones that have changed have collapsed under the weight of their own stupidity.
    I have a friend who is planning to move over to the US with the specific aim of putting their kids through American secondary schools. His wife is American

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I can't possibly comment on the quality of education in the USA but I fail to see what is wrong with expecting pupils to bring their own equipment. That's the way it was (and still is) when I was at school in France.

JL48 likes this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We give them a jotter but I expect them to have a pencil case with useful stuff in it. And the seniors quite often bring their own stationery when they realise I'm only going to be marking work they word process or do on lined paper.

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

So we now all know where we are going. Into a deeper level of the inferno....
    89715_600.jpg