1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union advice

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Rosie.Hall, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hi I have just started working as a teaching assistant (temporary) hopefully will be made permanent and I would like to join a union. I would like advice. Please Which one do i join??? (There seems a few available) Are you a member of a union? Any help would be apriciated Thankyou xx

PS Shorty68 how are you I have read many of your threads.

2. Hi I have just started working as a teaching assistant (temporary) hopefully will be made permanent and I would like to join a union. I would like advice. Please Which one do i join??? (There seems a few available) Are you a member of a union? Any help would be apriciated Thankyou xx

PS Shorty68 how are you I have read many of your threads.

3. Most TAs join UNISON, GMB or ATL depending on their preference or whether there are members/reps etc in their school. You will hear good and bad of unions. Check out the ones in your school, If you are temporary you may wish to pay monthly (all three of these will accept monthly subs), that way if you finish working in schools you can resign (if you so wish) anfdhave not paid for a whole year.

4. GMB or Unison (which ever has the best representation in your area). ATL is a Teachers' union and is not recognised as being able to negotiate on our behalf by our employers (the govt.)

Why you shouldn't join ATL has been hotly debated in the past, but in the present forlorn state of this forum I don't expect it will get much response now[​IMG]

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Totally agree with maizie on this! And also on her recommendations regarding unions - GMB or Unison, depending on which is most active/popular in your authority or school.

And before we get the usual posts about how useless all unions are I'll get in my usual response that unions are only as strong as their members! (might not even get those posts any more now!)

6. Hi TA999! I am pushing ahead! The head has agreed to put me on grade 2, budget permitting (as though 50p an hour increase will push the school over the edge.......).

Unison have told me I was doing a grade 3/4 job. Have managed to reduce the planning - not perfect but a start and at least some acknowledgement of my efforts (but I won't be getting the 12 months backpay for the extra duties I was given).

I will be leaving on time, not taking any work home with me and standing up for myself a lot more for now on (wait till the other TAs find out I will be on grade 2.............).

PS UNISON have been very good to me if it's any help.

7. Hiya shorty68 so nice to hear from you I too am grade 1 but am having my own group which I will take out for lessons for an intervention wave 2 programme for literacy in year 3. Very different from the Grade 1 job description I had. However I am embracing it and really enjoying it. I will certainly be joining a union can i join Unison via their website or shall I ask around at school? Iam so pleased you are now being paid a Grade 2 as reading your past threads I could tell you were certainly doing a grade/level 2 plus. Best of luck xx

8. Hi again TA999.

You can join either through school or through the website - I joined through school (the UNISON rep came in and gave us the talk!).

Glad you are enjoying your new role, but don't let them take advantage. Take a copy of your job description, highlight all the bits against the higher grades which you do and then professionally and politely go and present it to the head.

My head couldn't have been more pleasant, just a pity it took 12 months and me having to ask!

I have 3 SEN children for several sessions a week, but am now also delivering springboard maths level 4 and 5. You could argue that although I've successfully dropped the planning for the SEN (the teachers have to provide me with work when I do these sessions (as per job specn), I've now got even more than before with the Springboard!

Grade 2 will do for starters, the head mentioned possible progression next year. I will wait and see, should get grade 2 shortly (watch this space!!), and will keep you all updated on any progress (now I've finally managed to use this new system on TES!!).

To all you grade 1 TAs who are doing a higher specification job, get in there and point it out!

Shorty

xxx

9. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Congratulations, shorty - so pleased to hear that you are finally getting some recognition (albeit, not yet enough!) for the job you have been doing! Hope that further progression will come soon.