1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unimagnative 'writing by numbers'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by intime, Mar 29, 2016.

1. intime

intime New commenter

2. intime

intime New commenter

sorry can't work out how to edit the title!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

After years of children getting high marks/levels and yet be unable to spell basic words or use any punctuation correctly it was inevitable that the pendulum would swing back to the other extreme.

If writing is assessed by using several pieces there should be evidence enough to tick all the boxes without any loss of creativity and flair.
    If some teachers decide that every box must be ticked in every piece, then more fool them.
    (Bit like the idiot SLT who decide that every box on their lesson observation form must be ticked in every 10 minute learning walk.)

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

interesting about ticking off all boxes. My daughter is a senior GCSE marker and was amazed about the way we have to mark ordinary pieces of work.
    "Surely you should only mark what is in the LI?" was one comment.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Hmmmm...not sure about this being a good idea.
    I took over a year 6 class once, with super inflated levels from the year 5 teacher. For much of the first few weeks any writing task used to begin like this.
    Them: Does spelling matter in this piece of work?
    Me: Yes, spelling always matters.
    Them: Does handwriting matter in this piece of work?
    Me: Yes, handwriting always matters.
    Them: Do we need to use punctuation in this piece of work?
    Me: Yes, you always need punctuation. What is punctuation?
    Them: Errrrrrr
    Cue me then bashing my head on the whiteboard!
    These were children who had come up apparently working at level 4 already!

Creativity is important, but it isn't everything.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I take it you haven't read the guidance on teacher assessment for this year.

Also, I'm not sure how you were levelling before, but if a child didn't have a pretty good grasp of punctuation, they shouldn't have been getting a high level.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Nope not read it in detail. Luckily for me I'm not in year 6, nor in the state system this year. :)
    I was just responding to the article posted by the OP, which rants about how spelling, grammar and the like now need to be assessed above flair and ideas.

I totally agree that those without a good grasp of punctuation shouldn't get a high level. But ask year 7 teachers whether all those coming in over the last 10 years with level 5 have a good grasp of spelling and punctuation and the answer is no they don't.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There isn't anything in the guidance that says you have to tick every box for every piece of work.

There is plenty of scope for imaginative writing and meeting the expectations.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You don't have to tick every box with every piece of writing, but the vast majority should be ticked (or evidenced) for all pieces. The exemplification and moderator advice has shown that.

I wasn't ever one that said writing couldn't be imaginative.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have also been informed by our county moderator that the requirement is that all objectives will be evidenced in every piece unless not applicable for the genre.

11. intime

intime New commenter

CarrieV I don't think that is correct as the writing examples don't have every box ticked for every piece of work. Some standards only have 3 ticks.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The county moderator explained that this did not mean that only three examples were needed for each objective, indeed the county version of the checklist we have been issued with explicitly states that this is not the case, evidence must be seen of the use of each objective consistently in a wide range of relevant genre.

13. robyn_banned_again

robyn_banned_again New commenter

My son came home and recited the sentence in the sheet in his book to show he had achieved "deep " learning in his writing.

"managing shifts between levels of formality through selecting vocabulary precisely
    and by manipulating grammatical structures"

When a 10 yr old tells you that, you do wonder what is going on. He has to tick that on his sheet if he thinks he's met it.

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i can't disagree with the need for handwriting, spelling and punctuation. But for some of the other elements to be checked on each and every piece of work? Coming from a secondary background, that is like marking every piece of work to the same level as GCSE coursework. One of the things I was most impressed when I moved to KS2, was how much more time was spent on planning as a result of less time being spent on marking. At the end of the day, there is a finite amount of time available to anybody, even teachers.