1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uniforms in school

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, Jan 30, 2018.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I have recently become interested in social empowerment and the role of uniforms affecting human behaviour. Put on a santa costume and you can wave and say "merry christmas" to complete strangers, ask them what they want and give them gifts. Dress as a police officer and you have a totally different type of empowerment.
    Uniforms are widely used for pupils in schools but are used more as a social leveller. Nowadays apart from a lanyard and id tag most staff and governors are pretty much incognito within the school and as a governor I would like more distinction. I would apply this also to Ofsted inspectors. to avoid (anecdote) the receptionist challenging one with the disdainful
    words "and who are you ?" when one turns up for an unannounced inspection.
    I toyed with the idea of baseball hats, badges and waistcoats but settled upon the idea of coloured, velcro fastened armbands with sewn on cloth badges with H, T, G, O or whatever design you fancy. Of course its likely only some would only wear them depending on the occasion but in mass gatherings I would find them invaluable.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

You are too early for April fool's day.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

mrchips.jpg
    I always thought this was rather a good uniform.

4. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

I can't figure out if this is a joke.
    If it's serious, it's worrying that this is a primary concern of a governor.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

How about working on the principle of treating all adults in the school the same?

If it's a matter of being able to identify people, then you say you already have ID cards that do this. I don't see anything wrong with asking someone what they do of it's important, although rarely it is.

Well done on the receptionist though. Absolutely the right thing to do, challenging someone you don't recognise. I'm presuming they were not wearing a visitor's badge