1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uniform

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, May 4, 2019.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Right I have brooded on this for long enough.

What is it with the fad around our area anyway for girls to wear tartan pleated skirts whilst the boys wear block colour (usually black) trousers? Why - in the interests of equality are the boys not to wear tartan trousers (trews)? Around here it is rare you see a secondary school aged girl in trousers.... and more and more schools are adopting these tartan skirt things. It isn't right!!! It is sending out a message that girls are to be decorative (You could also argue that it shows their lack of control over the boys that they don't dare make them wear the tartan!)

Here's an example..

NEW WADEDEAACON (480 x 419).jpg.gallery.jpg

2. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I thought kilts were menswear?

BetterNow and needabreak like this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I think it's because many private schools have girls in kilted skirts.
    I taught in an independent school, it was all girls, where they wore kilts. The "real" kilts were fine but the kilted skirts they introduces were awful never kept their shape, pleats ended up flattened, well that's what happens if you spend most of the day seated.
    Think the boys should wear tartan boy ties and waistcoats.

4. amoral_savoy_mink

amoral_savoy_mink New commenter

At least the girls don't have trousers inflicted upon them (or rather, they at least have a choice).

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Schools still tend to force girls to wear boys' clothes, which they will never do elsewhere or when they leave school. Is seems to be some form of misguided equality.

amoral_savoy_mink and nomad like this.
  6. HelenREMfan

Whereas our male dominated societies still force girls/women to wear skirts!
    Why on earth would you think that only males can/should wear trousers?

strawbs likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've noticed it around here too in a couple of towns when I've been there at school leaving times. It seems very odd, especially after decades of plain black, grey or navy skirts. I suppose it's akin to all the piping on uniforms deemed necessary for a good education these days.

chelsea2 likes this.
  8. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I’m aware of a number of schools around here that won’t let girls wear skirts (they tend to wear them far too short). Perhaps the tartan skirts are a way of ensuring that they buy them from an approved supplier and prevent the embarrassing glimpses of knickers (and yes, I am aware that some of the girls will still roll their skirts up at the waistband)

9. LondonCanary

That seems to be a thing whereby girls have to cover up because boys can't control themselves.
    At girls' schools trousers are rare (other than for cultural reasons), often because they look hideous.

nomad and amoral_savoy_mink like this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Isn't it an American trend? And would they do it if they knew the connotations of "schoolgirls" and how they dress in "adult" entertainment? Unless it is old pervs who want it introduced?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. HelenREMfan

But why is it only inflicted on the girls?????

12. HelenREMfan

I have seen increasingly at schools where skirt wearing for the girls seems to be expected that more and more girls are wearing cycling shorts underneath the skirts. This is to guard against the harassment so many girls receive from the boys at the school...upskirting..... stairway perving etc.

We are doing our girls such a disservice..... it seems schools are increasingly using girls to 'civilise' the boys too help get boys to conform more. We are letting them down major style.

LondonCanary likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Unless the school has a link with one of the ancient Scottish clans and wears their tartan, it will be a tartan designed specifically for that school. Hence the tartan is uniform.

I have no issue with that.

A tartan skirt makes a girl look smart and well-dressed.

Tartan trousers make a boy look like an American weekend golfer or Coco the Clown.

14. HelenREMfan

That is just SO WRONG!
    You are just confirming that girls are there to be decorative.

For shame.

bonxie likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

When I started teaching, the girls' school down the road had a deputy head with a wooden yardstick to check that all skirts were between 1" and 2" below the knee. Girls were sent home if skirts were outside these limits, which must have been expensive given the rate at which some of them grow.

To add to the delight, the skirts were box pleated, so I imagine they took an age to iron. :eek:

amoral_savoy_mink likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

Most girls' schools round here manage with
    A shortish skirt
    School blouse, no tie.
    Sweatshirt or v-neck jumper, no blazer.

Shame they often have to wear boys' clothes to go to a mixed school.

amoral_savoy_mink and nomad like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What utter garbage.

Still, intolerant, opinionated and narrow-minded people will always manage to twist another's words around to suit their own purposes.

It is quite remarkable how many people there are who choose, uninvited, to be indignant on someone else's behalf, and all too often without cause. If the girls don't like their uniform, let them take it up with their schools.

I could get all uppity over the fact that, whenever I visit Covent Garden I see the female ballet dancers wear tutus while the males wear tights. Is that because the female ballet dancers are just there to be decorative? Should I kick up a stink about it? I think I shall keep my own counsel though - I'm not a ballet dancer.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Girls in our school have the choice of trousers or tartan skirt.

Overwhelmingly they choose the tartan skirt.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh and boys get no choice... all trousers.

20. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I worked in a school with tartan kilts.

It was so the girls couldn't roll them up, as they had to be pinned at the waist rather than those nylon elasticated ones. Unlike another school, were the girls eould regularly wear them so short the boys at the bottom of the stairs got a right eyeful. Regarding the decorative argument, schoolgirls rolling skirts up and liberally applying fake tan and make up (which was standard at this school, where the SLT were so pathetic they never challenged this) by their own accord collude with the patriarchy far more than an SLT do by making them wear skirts. At all schools I've worked in, the girls have the choice to wear trousers. Many choose not to.

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.