1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uniform kids / parents ignoring rules

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Imtheredone, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Imtheredone

Imtheredone New commenter

hi the high school I work in has a jumper and polo shirt style uniform and allows cheap unbranded lace up plimsolls as school shoes.

However some of the pupils think it’s Ok to wear vans trainers and converse etc even though there banned I don’t think it’s very fair when some of the pupils following the rules are in £3 plimsolls.

Should I ask the head teacher if he’s going to do anything about it ?? I was thinking about sending all my pupils in my class who are braking the rules which is about 10 of them to get proper school shoes or unbranded plimsolls from the office.

What should I do ??

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

"Cheap unbranded"? What kind of direction is that? What's "cheap"? And all trainers/plimsolls are branded even if the brand is Aldi. I can't believe any school would ask parents to send their children in deliberately cheap attire. If it's some attempt as enforcing race-to-the-bottom classless uniformity on them, I'd say it had backfired spectacularly.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Imtheredone

The policy means cheap ones like primark shoe zone and sports direct ones all cost under £7 the school have had the policy for years but a lot used to break the rules so we tried to be more strict from this September but a lot still seem to break the rules including my y8 class

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why do so many people get so exercised about school uniform? There really are more important things to worry about!

hammie, chelsea2 and racroesus like this.
  5. Imtheredone

Not when it’s starting bullying in class / kids with expensive vans / trainers showing off to the kids in £3 pumps

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Imtheredone

Anyway Forgot to mention my class is y8

Tomorrow we’re having a crack down all 6 y8 classes and all y7 classes are as well pupils have been told today that they have to be in proper school shoes or cheap unbranded lace up plimsolls tomorrow other wise they have to get a pair of plimsolls from the office before registration

7. Imtheredone

Y9 10 & 11 will be told on Friday that they need to be in proper school shoes or cheap unbranded lace up plimsolls buy Monday

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why not the whole school at once? Can you imagine the discussions in the corridor? 'I'm year 10, Miss, so I don't have to wear the right shoes until Friday'!

A friend of mine is having a big issue with our local high school (new head, new madness). Her daughter has a serious foot condition and can only wear certain shoes, as they have to be able to take her prescribed insoles. The head is making a huge fuss about it, instead of sensibly saying, 'I'm sorry your daughter is ILL. I trust you to pick the shoes that she can wear that best fit with the school's footwear policy'. But no, the shoes have to be brought in to be assessed as to their suitablity. At that point my friend discovered that the school has bought a huge number of pairs of new school shoes, so that anyone coming in the wrong style has to wear a school pair until the end of the day. Whether they fit or not. And we wondered where the £1000 raised to pay for new PE equipment had gone... I honestly think some school managers are insane.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Goodness me, just how do they manage it in all those countries which don't have school uniforms then? o_O Maybe our pupils are exceptionally evil then...or our schools are useless at stopping bullying!

PS BTW what is the concern about 'vans'? I'd have thought that sports cars or SUVs were more sought after! :D

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Do children have to produce receipts? Why must parents only shop at certain shops and buy cruddy shoes? One might think that most parents would shop for decent shoes, not sweat-shop rubbish.

You have a bullying and ethical problem - not a shoe problem - if ‘showing off’ can be classed as bullying that is.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

76D08451-F212-4DE9-AAD8-4F787A751D82.jpeg

needabreak likes this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

All school uniform items should be sourced by schools like in the old days thus all kids dressed the same... shoes and pants too... although typically they wont be able to match stores on price and will be criticised again, unless uniform is all sourced centrally and issued by Government. :eek:

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You just want us to be like the French and in the EU as well.

14. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

When my daughter moved out of prescription boots to insoles we discovered they were completely incompatible with girls school shoes. DMs are the answer. Fortunately everyone at her school thinks she has the most sensible shoes.

15. Imtheredone

Can’t do the whole school at once so starting with year 7 & 8 then year 9 then year 10&11

16. Imtheredone

You can tell which pumps are the cheap ones from primark shoe zone and sports direct etc

17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I am inclined to introduce a policy that requires all students wearing designer price tag clothes to provide the cash so that all others in their class can wear the same overpriced branded rubbish. Not practical or enforceable but probably quite fair.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eh?
    Why, then, in your first post do you ask whether you ought to contact the HT to see if they're going to do anything about it?
    Clearly they are doing something about it....I don't get your question at all! Why do you want to stop somebody during their job to ask them if they are going to do the job which you were able to see them doing before you wanted to stop them by asking?

19. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

One of my friends told me she had to wear navy blue knickers to school.
    I laughed and asked how on earth they would know.
    "They checked" was the reply.

lapinrose likes this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had to wear white underwear - it was checked by the PE teacher.