1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

uni tutor doesn't like my colleague - worried about ramifications

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by completeunknown, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    Without providing too much detail, my friend is on a secondary maths pgce. Over the past few months it has become apparent that our uni tutor dislikes him. we are certain that it's for some sort of personal reason, but nobody can work out what on earth he must have done to her! He thinks its because hes in his 40s - thats how silly it has got! to be honest, it's clear to me too. this woman is a professor, senior on the course, rather egotistical, has her set exact way of doing things and we have been told from more than one source that this woman either likes or dislikes you and has favourites. i don't think she likes me, but my friend she clearly has some sort of personal problem with.
    He seems to be doing well at his placement school and has many Qs already ticked off, but this woman picks him up on everything, and does not like his teaching, his lessons, behaviour management methods, his essays, anything. most of her criticisms are to do with 'the way he is/teaches/acts/says/does/writes/talks', so he doesnt think technically there is anything wrong with his teaching - no more than any other person at the end of first placement. Again without going into too much detail, she is very personal with him, stone faced and almost aggressive, with no word of praise. We suspect she is negative about him to his placement too, trying to turn their heads. He is worried sick,as this has been going on from day one, he can't imagine what he must have done, now i am worried too, because i sense she doesnt like me either!
    i dont know how to advise him as i just dont know. i know if you have a prob with your placement you go to your uni tutor, but if it's your UNI tutor who doesnt like you, but your placement say you are ok, and your Qs are ticked off, what implications can this have for your pgce? do they have to be your referee? can they not pass you? i told him as long as his schools think hes good they have to pass him.. is this right?
    thanks.

2. Dear all,
    Without providing too much detail, my friend is on a secondary maths pgce. Over the past few months it has become apparent that our uni tutor dislikes him. we are certain that it's for some sort of personal reason, but nobody can work out what on earth he must have done to her! He thinks its because hes in his 40s - thats how silly it has got! to be honest, it's clear to me too. this woman is a professor, senior on the course, rather egotistical, has her set exact way of doing things and we have been told from more than one source that this woman either likes or dislikes you and has favourites. i don't think she likes me, but my friend she clearly has some sort of personal problem with.
    He seems to be doing well at his placement school and has many Qs already ticked off, but this woman picks him up on everything, and does not like his teaching, his lessons, behaviour management methods, his essays, anything. most of her criticisms are to do with 'the way he is/teaches/acts/says/does/writes/talks', so he doesnt think technically there is anything wrong with his teaching - no more than any other person at the end of first placement. Again without going into too much detail, she is very personal with him, stone faced and almost aggressive, with no word of praise. We suspect she is negative about him to his placement too, trying to turn their heads. He is worried sick,as this has been going on from day one, he can't imagine what he must have done, now i am worried too, because i sense she doesnt like me either!
    i dont know how to advise him as i just dont know. i know if you have a prob with your placement you go to your uni tutor, but if it's your UNI tutor who doesnt like you, but your placement say you are ok, and your Qs are ticked off, what implications can this have for your pgce? do they have to be your referee? can they not pass you? i told him as long as his schools think hes good they have to pass him.. is this right?
    thanks.

3. Some of these Uni tutors really get my goat! Why do they feel they have to prove they are the big cheese? A couple of people in my group are suffering the same thing.
    My advice would be for him to have an informal chat with the Programme Leader and to ask for assurances that the Programme Leader will not speak to the tutor in question without his prior permission - as this could adversly affect his job prospects.
    If things are that bad, then he could look to change personal tutor group - and be linked with a more sympathetic tutor.
    This may be uncomfortable at first and I am sure he has made good friends in his current tutor group, but ultimately, he has to put his career first and moving to a more sypathetic tutor could help him.

4. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Essentially it's the mentor at the school who will mark you off as passing or not, and the University mentor is the one who will "mark and check" the evidence.
    It's a tough situation but I suppose the only thing you can do is support him. Many people have problems with their placement, not their University mentor so it is a bit strange. Personally I would be overly nice to the University mentor and see if that unsettles her.
    If you know she has a problem with you then you can pretty much ignore her rants/feedback to a point.