1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uni tutor coming to observe very difficult year ten class-help!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by charlylou, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hey everyone was just looking for some advice. I'm a pgce student on my first placement and my university tutor is coming to observe me. Last time went really well- I had a lovely year 7 class. This time I am teaching my year ten class filled with some of the worst students in school. Their current teacher is really laid back and lets bad language and behaviour slide. I'm really not sure what to do-I have only taught them for a few lessons as it is. I have a feeling they will see I am being observed and bring me down intentionally. If I follow school sanctions it would most likely result in them kicking off and I'm not sure I could control the situation. The teacher has offered to take some students out of the lesson but I feel that would be really obvious to the other students why they aren't there.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for rambling on loads!

2. gravell

gravell New commenter

Follow through with the school sanctions. In my opinion if you follow through the school sanctions system correctlly then you are covered.

3. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Make sure the lesson plan you give to the tutor highlights possible problems and strategies you plan to use in response. This might sound nuts but try introducing the observer to the class and casually say that you've already told him how great they are at.... whatever you're doing. They might just be pleased and want to show off.
    It depends on the experience of the observer but make sure you are given the opportunity to give a review of your lesson before they start their feedback... and be very honest.
    You mention bad language in particular... try challenging it in a fairly non confrontational way, 'mind your mouth' as a first response and then if the same pupil continues use the behaviour code of the school. I teach English and have experienced kids who swear for effect when answering... I listen to the point, respond to it and then ask them to say again it a non offensive way... as they might need to in an exam.
    With other behaviour issues make sure the tutor has a copy of the behaviour code for the school and follow it. If the kids kick off call for back up and let him see how the school supports you. You shouldn't be marked down and in turn you might get some additional help with how to deal with colleagues rather than kids!

4. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Very good advice above. If the children misbehave and you do all the things you should be doing, you will be fine. If a pupil reaches the stage where they should be out of the class - they should be out of the class.
    I tell my students that they have a better chance of getting positive grades with a difficult class than with a class full of Stepford kids. With a difficult class, as least the tutor sees you using the skills you have to manage behaviour.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

If you go by the school policy, keep your cool, and play things by the book, you'll demonstrate a rational, professional approach to behaviour management, and your tutor would be very unfair indeed to judge you too harshly if any of the pupils misbehaved. After all, you don't have a magic power to control them- the only person you can directly control is yourself, so make sure that what you do is as cool-headed and constructive as possible, even if the kids don't meet this bar.
    Nobody would blame the police because crime exists- but we would hold them to account if they failed to uphold their real responsibility, which is to tackle crime, not to eliminate it. You can only ever do your best. Keep your emotions in check; be dissappointed by misbehaviour rather than furious. Set sanctions if they are deserved, and do so with the coolness of a man ordering a pizza.
    Good luck.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/