1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uni PGCE vs SCITT PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by katbag, Feb 17, 2009.

1. katbag

katbag New commenter

Hi All

Any thoughts on the above? I have been offered a place on a primary Uni-based PGCE and am also through to the 2nd round of interviews for a SCITT PGCE and am finding it very very hard to decide between the two. Ultimately, of course, it is my decision, but would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of both?

Thanks

2. I was wondering this as well... I've got a place on the Primary PGCE at the Institute, but have also been offered the SCITT with a local school that has an excellent reputation etc. It would mean rejecting the place at the Institute in order to even get an interview for the Uni part of the SCITT though, and I'm not sure I really want to turn down a place I've already got for certain....

3. Both are good ways to train as teacher, and you end up with a prestigious qualification - PGCE (either at Postgraduate or Graduate level), which will have better recognition abroad should you wish to pursue that at some time.
    With uni-based PGCE, you get more time to concentrate on theory and academic side, while on SCITT most of your time is spent in schools within the partnership. If you have recently left uni and are used to assignments and other academic writings, perhaps you require less hands-on support than those who've been out of higher education for some time. This may be particularly important if you go for more demanding M-level PGCE. I have heard SCITT PGCE students sometimes struggling with assignments and subject knowledge audit because of the way their course is structured. On uni-based PGCE, assignments are normally spaced out to work around your placements. If you have a good amount of school experience, perhaps through working as TA, LSA etc, you may not need as much school-based training as others to reach the QTS standards. But it's horses for courses, and only you can decide what's best for you.

4. Thanks Garner for letting me know. I am sure there may well be the odd one or two that do offer the M-level, but in general it is not the case. As mentioned in a previous post, this would make it very difficult unless the SCITT allocate more time for you to study outside the school. Anyway well done, and good luck.
    Which SCITT provider will you start with?
    bc

5. Thanks [​IMG]
    It's the Dorset SCITT.

6. Hi everyone, this is my first post on this place!
    I've been debating the same question, Uni-based PGCE vs SCITT.
    I had to sell a business first, so wasn't able to apply for courses until this February, so all the PGCE courses here are now full.
    My only option is a SCITT with Nottingham Outstanding Primary Schools (which I *think* I'm going to be offered an interview for, fingers crossed the GTTR hasn't made a mistake!).
    Thankfully this one does offer a postgrad rather than professional PGCE.
    I've seen on some places that employers look specificially for PGCE students rather than SCITT, and on others that they prefer SCITT ones!
    The one thing pretty much everyone agrees on is the amount of work on a SCITT and that it's a more difficult way into teaching than doing a PGCE at a uni.
    So I'm not sure whether to go for the SCITT (if I were to be offered a place!) or wait another year and do a PGCE
    :s

7. I was wondering what the benefits of a SCITT compared to a uni-based PGCE and was a little alarmed that the end qualification would only be a QTS and no PGCE for my particular SCITT (nottingham based). If the end result is just a QTS that is only recognised in England and Wales, is there no way to supplement your course in order for it to be recognised abroad?
    I always thought about travelling or living in another country at some point, but if this SCITT doesn't lead to a universally recognised qualification then I'd be a little reluctant to take up that route. I have the final part of the selection process on th 24th so a bit gutted after all the time and energy spent applying and preparing etc. Does anyone have some pearls of wisdom or advice? It would be much appreciated! Thanks, C

8. QTS without PGCE for graduates isn't a recognised teaching qualification in Scotland and in some other countries (but not all). You need to look up detailed regulations in the country (and often state or province within, e.g. US, Canada, Australia) you hope to work in one day.
    There isn't much you can do to 'upgrade' your qualification, because it's set in stone from the outset. If you need PGCE, you need to be on the course that offers it. You can do Masters etc, but doesn't help you when it comes to recognition of qualification. MEd in US, for example, is a professional teaching qualification, not just an academic one as in UK.

9. Ell_F

Ell_F New commenter

I'm having a similar dilemme to the OP...I've got a place at Brum Uni for my PGCE this September which I'm delighted about...but I've also received an offer for interview at the Birmingham Primary Teacher Partnership (the local SCITT provider) for this Tuesday...

My instincts tell me to stick with the PGCE- On a personal note every recently qualified NQT I know has done a PGCE and says although it's understandably hard, really worthwhile; I always enjoyed the structure of Uni and feel I would like the combination of theoretical and practical work the PGCE would provide, but I've also heard good things about SCITT. I'm in two minds as to whether to get myself worked up and prepare for an interview day I technically don't need to go to, but then it may be something I'd regret not doin. Hmmmm...

10. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

I am on a scitt course at the moment and i can't say a bad waord about it, everything has been fantastically organised and professional. I will be awarded a PGCE from it and i am also doing it at M-Level as are a 3rd of the trainees in the consortium. We have 4 days in school and one day of lectures (if you can call them that - very different to uni kind of lectures), and we all learn so much more about being a teacher from school experience. In a scitt consortium you generally get a wide range of subjects and only 4-6 trainees from each subject, and therefore we get a lot of individual attention which is beneficial. It is a good way to get known if you are training in the area you want to work in. Our SCITT is very highly regarded in my area and a lot of the staff working in the local area have been through the course themselves.
    Even through it is more school based you still get the support you need, from subject mentors, personal tutors, lead subject mentors, assistants leads - there are so many ports of call. Not to mention the other 5 trainees you see on a regular basis. People have said about it depending on experience, coming out of uni etc, and im sure it is a personal decision, but i only finished uni 2 years ago and had limited experience coming into my training but have got on fine at school and on my placements.

11. Hi there

i have my scitt interview soon do you have any tips?

how was yours?

Thx

12. I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that my provider is a SCITT and I will be awarded a PGCE, it all depends on the provider but it is usually a GTP that you are awarded QTS but not a PGCE, I think people are confusing the two training routes.
    Best of luck to everyone whichever route you take!

13. Hiya Stacey, thats ok, its an old post but a still very relevant subject. I would love to hear more about your experience on the SCITT programme. In Cornwall SCITT comes without PGCE at Primary level, and with PGCE at secondary level... not sure why! Thats why I am in such a kafuffle deciding whether to get the better qualification or whether to stay local and be happier throughout the year as I'll see my hubbie everyday.

Mel x

14. Hi sorry I am a little slow on the uptake here but I am currently looking into SCITT or PGCE route for 2012 so I would really appreciate any advice.
    So via the GTP route you don't usally get the PGCE status?
    How did you find you SCITT provider and how do you know if they provide the PGCE at the m-level?
    I have been teaching abroad for the last two years and it is something I would definately want to do again so really need to keep my options open. I really think I would prefer the SCITT route but I don't want to do it and then struggle to get a job!!

15. Hi,

I am English, but currently living in Australia and have a visa which allows me to stay for another three years. I have been looking at Australian primary teaching courses but I would have to pay international fees. These are 3-4 times the cost that residents pay.

I then looked into the route of an Open University course but I like the idea of the SCITT route which ends in a PGCE qualification so that I can teach in OZ. Does anyone know if a SCITT equivalent is available here in Australia? Specifically NSW. (The Open University doesn't make it clear whether they would organise on-the-job-training. And they are not very helpful.

Failing that, I would have to move back home, but my Boyfriend is contracted to stay here for the full three years.