1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unhelpful parent

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by gasheadruss, May 23, 2011.

1. I sense a situation developing in my bottom set Yr 7 science class and I'd be interested to know what those with more experience would do/how they see this playing out.
    The lad in question has complained that he is treated unfairly when in actual fact he makes bad choices and is easily led by the friends he surrounds himself with. Consequently he can find himself in trouble pretty often and any punishment is justified for the part he has played in bad behaviour. Equally he often shows his sensible side and is praised for it.
    Anyway, things have come to a head and his father has has come into school and made accusations about the school and specific members of staff in front of the child, saying he is unfairly singled out for punishment. The young lad is now under the impression that the school and it's staff are out to get him and that he will never get a fair hearing whatever he has done because Dad says so.
    For me the situation became farcical today when I had to speak to the lad about his behaviour in class (continually talking over my instructions) and he told me "this school's rules are rubbish, my Dad says so". With an outlook like that what chance do I (or other staff) have?
    Furthermore his opinions are spreading at some pace to other easily-influenced Yr7 boys who are developing a 'them vs us' attitude because their mate's dad says the school rules are rubbish!
    Grrrr! Dad has not helped here in my opinion, but does anyone have any suggestions about how I can nip this way of thinking in the bud before it really takes hold?
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. I sense a situation developing in my bottom set Yr 7 science class and I'd be interested to know what those with more experience would do/how they see this playing out.
    The lad in question has complained that he is treated unfairly when in actual fact he makes bad choices and is easily led by the friends he surrounds himself with. Consequently he can find himself in trouble pretty often and any punishment is justified for the part he has played in bad behaviour. Equally he often shows his sensible side and is praised for it.
    Anyway, things have come to a head and his father has has come into school and made accusations about the school and specific members of staff in front of the child, saying he is unfairly singled out for punishment. The young lad is now under the impression that the school and it's staff are out to get him and that he will never get a fair hearing whatever he has done because Dad says so.
    For me the situation became farcical today when I had to speak to the lad about his behaviour in class (continually talking over my instructions) and he told me "this school's rules are rubbish, my Dad says so". With an outlook like that what chance do I (or other staff) have?
    Furthermore his opinions are spreading at some pace to other easily-influenced Yr7 boys who are developing a 'them vs us' attitude because their mate's dad says the school rules are rubbish!
    Grrrr! Dad has not helped here in my opinion, but does anyone have any suggestions about how I can nip this way of thinking in the bud before it really takes hold?
    Thanks in anticipation!

3. This clearly involves other members of staff and as such you cannot solve the issue yourself. I suggest that you (perhaps other staff involved) talk to the Head of Year and recount the issues and problems this parent has created. It needs to be dealt with by a senior member of staff and not individual teaching staff.
    James