1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unhappy path

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by krussell2344, May 8, 2019.

1. krussell2344

krussell2344 New commenter

Hey guys!
    Wasn't sure where to post this...

So a little background, I did Further Education for my degree, however, there aren't any jobs going any the moment so I ended up becoming a supply teacher for Secondary. At first I thought it was so fun and exciting, and though the school was shocking, I felt really proud of myself. However, as the months began to pass, I began to feel friction to accept assignments, I get palpations anxiety (though not in class) and I find myself thinking of excuses to turn down jobs.

However, here's whats keeping me stay: I had received judgement for being happy in a job that wasn't teaching and would happily be on less money to do something that made me happy. It excited to teach people the skills I've been working on all my life, but I don't get this experience in Supply work.

I want to quit, but I'm scared of all the judgement I'll recieve. I wanted to go back to volunteering in 16+ and work on my QTLS but unsure whether to stick it out in supply work or work on something I wanted to do in the first place.

2. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Happiness is important in your job. It's a shame you've not been able to get a job teaching what you love. I'd be inclined to give it a proper chance if you can - FE teaching is very different to supply in schools.
    What subject/s do you teach?

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. krussell2344

krussell2344 New commenter

Yeah, it's much different being a supply teacher and working in Secondary Schools considering all I've worked and trained in has been Further Education. I teach Art and Design.
    Tomorrow is my available date to do supply work and I have anxiety knowing how much I hate it.