1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unhappy NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by unhappy NQT, Jan 30, 2008.

1. was wonderign whether anyone can help me, i started my NQT in january the school im in is really not very supportive of NQT the childrens behaivour is really bad, the head teacher and my mentor are really not supportive, there is no support for NQTs in that school i gave my notice in to leave in february half term, and now they are being really bitchy to me im really depressed at the school i just want to leave, i havent signed a contract and recieved nothing in writing to confirm the position nor had any induction. i was hired on a temp basis for two terms, i was wondering am i in my rights to leave in february, as the school says i cant leave any earlier than the end of term, what can i do as i just want to leave i dont want a reference from that school, help, am i within my rights to leave in february

2. was wonderign whether anyone can help me, i started my NQT in january the school im in is really not very supportive of NQT the childrens behaivour is really bad, the head teacher and my mentor are really not supportive, there is no support for NQTs in that school i gave my notice in to leave in february half term, and now they are being really bitchy to me im really depressed at the school i just want to leave, i havent signed a contract and recieved nothing in writing to confirm the position nor had any induction. i was hired on a temp basis for two terms, i was wondering am i in my rights to leave in february, as the school says i cant leave any earlier than the end of term, what can i do as i just want to leave i dont want a reference from that school, help, am i within my rights to leave in february

3. **** 'em. No NQT induction stuff you need from them? Are you sure? You don't want to stuff things up, but you can be got out early and it doesn't have to ruin everything afterwards, believe me. If you have no contract, and really won't need anything from them, get signed off sick, or get your LEA to get you out early. Not worth feeling like that over.

4. You have a contract - it was formed when an offer of employment was made and accepted. The piece of paper normally referred to as the 'contract' is nothing more than an expression of that agreement. If you are on a fixed term contract then the normal rules (ie notice by 28 Feb to leave at Easter) do not necessarily apply - but you need to find out before taking any action. This should have been discussed when you were offered the post and confirmed in the written terms that you should have receive in the next few weeks. Many fixed term contracts have a one month notice period, some stick to the same terms as the permanent contract.

If you leave before the end of the term, either because your contract allows this or because the Head has agreed an early release then this period would not be counted towards your induction. It is really very early to be thinking of leaving after four weeks and, to be frank, it is hardly surprising that the school are not too thrilled to be left with the prospect of filling this temporary post again.

Although schools vary tremendously in the amount of support they give to NQTs, induction is ultimately what you make it. It is your responsibility as a professional to take control of the direction of your induction and make clear to the school what you need in way. Should the school fail to support you, after speaking to the Head (who is legally responsible to support you) your next step should be to speak with your named contact at the LEA - this is why they exist.

Poor behaviour is not unexpected in any school and for any teacher. Starting in January is difficult and especially so for an NQT. I started under exactly the same conditions this time last year on a fixed term contract in my first term of induction.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but I think that it would be unhelpful to be dishonest. When it comes to finding yor next post this is not going to be easy to put in a positive light. Avoid negative comments about your current employer, however true you may feel them, as this is almost always counterproductive.

5. I do agree with PaulJM, but I do also know what it is like to be working in a school where the mentor and head are unsupportive, even to the point of turning away from you when you talk to them, and not answering questions etc. So yes induction IS what you make it, but there are situations that an NQT should not be expected to deal with. As an NQT with a challenging class i can say I thoroughly enjoy it, as I knwo what to do and the support it there, not just for me but ALL staff, and it works. Go somewhere where it isn't, and the blame is laid entirely on the teacher and it is so rapidly soul destroying and damaging to the confidence it simply isn't worth it.
    I don't know which end of that scale your schoo lies is, but I know that you need to contact LEA and just get them in. They may be able to get the support you need to learn to deal with the situ., or they mayd ecide it's not right.

6. if you do really want to leave and it's affecting your health then i suggest you get in contact with your union as an early release can be granted. i was in a similiar position last term and i was granted an early release and now working for a supply agencey to build up my confidence. good luck

7. Hi

Am in a similar position, I need to resign!!! School unsupportive re- behaviour problems, but I am not a NQT. If I leave early I don't think the school will provide me with a good reference. Has anyone had an early exit and managed to get some supply work? I know the previous person said they had but supply rules have changed since 2008 (i.e. date of the last post). HELP!

8. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

An early exit from a post does not necessarily mean a poor reference and you can ask your union to help you negotiate this. But, more importantly, supply is hard to get now in a lot of areas and it is always easier to get a job when you are in post rather than unemployed. If you are not an NQT, approach your HOD and seek advice. If you don't want to do that, talk to a member of SMT, but always HOD first wherever possible. It's only a few weeks in and it takes time to establish yourself in a school so don't resign until you've tried everything.

9. "Although schools vary tremendously in the amount of support they give to NQTs, induction is ultimately what you make it. It is your responsibility as a professional to take control of the direction of your induction and make clear to the school what you need in way."
    I think this is a bit unfair- having suffered with the label of 'just an NQT' and the complete lack of respect that goes with it, the very least a school can do is balance that with a bare minimum of adequate support.
    In a school with almost no support and noone listening when I asked for help, the entire situation was out of my hands and I struggled the entire year in a cloud of misery without even the option of leaving due to my personal circumstances.
    What I can say is this: it gets better!!! I'm still in the same school, but it's so much better than last year. The 'just an NQT label' is insulting and patronising, and the change in the school's attitude once it's over is so marked. Toward the end of the year I spoke with a couple of people in the SLT (yet again!!) but this time I was listened to and things changed.
    I think it's very unprofessional not to give someone the support they are entitled to, and to expect an individual to make up for a school's shortcomings is deeply unfair and inappropriate. If NQTs are going to be considered as inexperienced and incapable of contributing fully to a school in the eyes of their colleagues and SLT, surely the support they should be receiving is essential.
    I would advise that you talk to the induction mentors at the NQT days - they are outside of your school and are very supportive. They should be able to give good advice on where to go.
    I know how miserable it can be in that situation, but there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel! Promise!
    Good luck.

10. You need to seek advice and help from your union, especially if you wish to negotiate an exit from the school with no job to move to. That means an agree reference.
    Also contact the teacher support netwpork if you are feeling down.
    http://teachersupport.info/
    If you feel that the support is not there, do the rest of the people you work with feel the same? Could it be that the lack of support is because people think that you are coping, but actually you need help - if you seek help what would the response be? It may well be that people will react to your call and help and support with be forthcoming.
    The best advice at present is to not over-react and seek help internally and extrenally then look at what the opitons are.
    James

11. Dear James

Any help regarding my last post would be appreciated (i.e. the post just before this one). Thank you.

12. I also disagree with this somewhat too. I agree that to a point it is your responsibility as a professional to take control of your induction but this is totally impossible without the support of your school.
    I received zero CPD as an NQT (and it wasn't for want of asking or writing action plans or trying to find development opportunities). I also wanted to observe other staff but this also proved impossible as there were two other staff in school receiving support after receiving unsatisfactory observations from the LA school improvement partners (whilst mine had been deemed good). Also other staff did not want me to come and observe them and made all kinds of excuses.
    If your development opportunity or need does not fit with the school's development plan - forget about it! Even if it is something you know you need to improve in your own practice.
    Then there is having a mentor who has so many roles in school that they are just too busy to talk to you, never mind having regular meetings (even your termly reviews get cancelled or postponed because they are too busy!!!!)
    Do you contact the LEA? In the present climate many NQTs are lucky to have a job - that is certainly how I felt so I did not want to make matters difficult for myself. I wanted to have the option of staying at the school if I did not get a post somewhere else. And what can the actual authority do anyway? I spoke to them and got told to talk to my mentor - what did they think I had been trying to do?????
    Fortunately, as someone who had completed the GTP, in some respects that meant I had wider experience in school than some NQTs so I survived being left to it but it isn't good. I feel my whole NQT year was a box ticking exercise and a total waste of time and I just gained an extra 10% PPA time on top of what I already had.

13. Dear Mark

Your opinion on the previous post (no.10) would be gratefully received.

14. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Your post horrifies me - as an NQT or any teacher seeking help you should be supported. What you are receiving is NOT support! My best advice is (based on the fact that your HT is giving mixed messages and is not supporting staff with discipline behaviours) is to start looking for another job asap! On your application form you can always say that you wish to gain more experience of xyz that you believe name of new school will provide (obviously do not mention that you want to leave cause school is awfu!).
    In the meanwhile, keep on plugging away. You don't say what age you are teaching? I have just taught in a very difficult academy where I really truggled with behaviour; kids would not let even allow me to introduce lesson! So I decided to try a different tact - I divided the work I wanted them to do for that half term into very small chunks, based on NC levels. The students had to complete a selection of activities/worksheets in any order to complete that level. Each student had a tick sheet for each level; each activity had to be signed off by them and me. When they competed the level, they were given a chocolate bar and a letter was sent home. This idea I gained from the behaviour forum. And it worked! well, for most kids! The lazy ones did very little but then it was obvious to pick them out cause each level had different colour worksheets. If they did very little, this was then reflected in their half term grade home... and you have evidence of progress! It takes AGES to set up but was worth it! Most kids came into the classroom, collected their tick sheet, chose their activity and got on with it cause they wanted a letter home!