1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unhappy mentor

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bentliff1, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi anybody considering being a mentor next year. I am facing 'incapability procedures' due to my apparent failures as a mentor. I had two students who were happy with my input and the tutor I had regular contact with was also happy. However, the moderator made some negative comments about me (no idea what he said as nothing was said to me) and the head decided to discipline me! Obviously contacted my union but it's hanging over me for the hols. Has anyone heard of this before? Anyway the point is don't be a mentor. I honestly thought I was doing a good job and look what happened.

2. Hi anybody considering being a mentor next year. I am facing 'incapability procedures' due to my apparent failures as a mentor. I had two students who were happy with my input and the tutor I had regular contact with was also happy. However, the moderator made some negative comments about me (no idea what he said as nothing was said to me) and the head decided to discipline me! Obviously contacted my union but it's hanging over me for the hols. Has anyone heard of this before? Anyway the point is don't be a mentor. I honestly thought I was doing a good job and look what happened.

3. I am sorry to hear about your situation but if there were no mentors how would people train to be teachers??

4. I agree!! I actually loved being a mentor and had an excellent relationship with my students. However, I always considered it an 'extra' duty. The Head is arguing that it is one of my roles within school (like having a responsibility for a curriculum area) and therefore that role is subject to disciplinary procedures. Regardless of whether I was a good or bad mentor- surely teachers need to know that this role could be used in a disciplinary procedure and should not be seen as an optional extra task?

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Support of other teachers is written into the National Job description for all qualified teachers and forms part of the performance management arrangements for staff. Mentoring is part and parcel of the everyday work of schools not additional.