1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfit to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by flossrock, Jun 29, 2011.

1. just be sensible - teaching by its nature demands being on top of your health and fitness. I know we all go in with sniffles and various aches and pains from time to time, but this is different. your doctor has signed you off from a very strenuous job - please rest but feel free to go out - it will help you to relax. as the previous poster said - you are not obliged to stay behind closed doors.
    i am at home recovering from an operation, i can feel fine but get very tired very quickly, so although i might be out and about i am not yet fit to go back to teaching. it would probably set my recovery back a long way and i would be exhausted.

hope you get better soon:)

2. Thank you for your supportive replies.

[​IMG]

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Just writing to add my support - you are unfit to work, not to live!

Go out, just take it easy and recover at nature's pace!

Good luck and best wishes!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Experienced head's perspective - you're unfit to work, not unfit to go to the shops, doctor, out for a hobble (back problems require regular movement, in my experience, not sitting in the house endlessly), etc.
    What I think you're worried about is the busyboy element - 'I saw Mrs Follyfairy in Tesco's and she's supposed to be sick!' and so on. That has happened to the best of us. I suggest getting a stick and carrying it about with you, groaning theatrically at regular intervals and saying loudly 'Ooh, my back's giving me gyp.'
    Seriously - keep moving, do as your doctor tells you - and ignore the busybodies. I hope you're better soon - as a longterm back sufferer, I feel your pain!

5. when I was signed off I often bumped into people I knew. I had severe migraines and took to wearing my sunglasses on the most cloudy of days to avoid eye contact and also to 'prove' that I was struggling with the headaches. Some people should keep their noses out! It's hard being off and still having to get on with day to day life- I had to continue doing school run whilst off.

6. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Hi Middlemarch,
    Am I right in thinking that the school isn't covered on insurance if you're in when you're signed off? I tried to go back before my note was up a few years ago and was told to go back home. (may well be that the Head was just sick of the sight of me though![​IMG])
    To OP, don't go back till you're fit, the only thing the doctor is saying is that you aren't fit enough to be on your feet all day in front of 30+ "causes of delight". (Although I wouldn't do what one colleague did and enter the regional squash tournament whilst on a note....and win....and get his mug in the local rag[​IMG])

Ian

7. My understanding is that if you are signed off sick then your head/boss/ manager is right to tell you to go home, because they have a duty of care to you - which is a legal responsibility. If you feel fit enough to return you can get the doctor to sign to say you are now fit and able to return - everyone is happy!

8. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Ever tried getting an appintment at my doctors!

9. Yes it's very difficult I know, but if you really want to return early then it's necessary to be signed as fit for work

10. Middlemarch

This 'covered on insurance' thing depends on a range of issues - do you mean with relation to supply cover, in which case the answer is - if you return to work, even for a few hours, the supply cover under any insurance policy ends and it's likely to be the end of it for your school. You can drop into school, however (to pick up belongings, for example).

11. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

I meant say the early returning teacher collapsed and a child got injured, (in the case of a science teacher supervising an experiment), pareets wanting to sue the school. On a 2 week sicknote, the supply insurance wouldn't kick in anyway would it?

12. Middlemarch

That depends on the school's specific policy - I've usually had policies that kick in after 3 days' absence.
    If an early returning teacher had got a doctor to sign him/her off, there's no negligence issue for the school or the teacher (but possibly one for the GP).

13. Thanks for all these responses. My certificate states until the 22nd July [last day of term], do I need to go into school on that day?

14. Thank
    you. Work rang me and said I needed a certificate to cover the
    six weeks holiday. I told them that my GP
    had signed me off until the end of term to rest my back and that I would have
    been into hospital by then and have had the recommended recovery period. He just
    kept repeating that technically I should have a certificate. I am refusing to
    get one and will email in my fitness to work on the first day of the holiday.