1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfinished NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KatiW, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I have been very lucky to get a part-time job, but unfortunately it finishes in June. I will have completed (and hopefully passed!) one NQT term.
    However - I am very unsuccessful in job interviews - despite always being told I did a tremendous interview (Pah!). There are so few jobs out there at the mo in DT - (There were 160 applicants for one job in Birmingham! And they continue to train more and more teachers...).
    I have no applications out at the mo, so it is looking like I will not be able to continue my NQT.
    What happens?
    Obviously as soon as anything suitable comes up I will apply - but what if it is over six month/a year (and to be quite honest - who will interview an NQT teacher that has been unable to secure a position for a year??).

I AM a good teacher - but it seems I am the wrong sex (I have been told that twice!) I have the wrong skills etc etc...

I absolutely love teaching but am rather worried and despondent about it all. It all seems pretty hopeless.
    If I don't get a job and have to give it up for a few years (I need an income).
    Would I have to begin my NQT Year again? Would I still hold QTS?

It is all so stressful and worrying.
    Thanks for any advice x

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Nothing.
    No, just do two more terms in a school offering induction (which makes you a slightly more attractive candidate to a potential employer).
    QTS is yours for life, even if you never finish your Induction.
    (The only way you lose QTS is to do something so awful you get struck off the register.)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I really feel for you Kati. I'm also D&T and completed two terms. It really is difficult. Have you signed up with agencies? Luckily due to H&S a long term absence really should be covered by a D&T teacher so fingers crossed you can keep your hand in this way.
    I'm not too sure what will happen with the NQT process if the rules changeto 5 years from PGCE (I'm also worried about this) I assume it'll be like when the current16 month supply limit is over and you have to beemployed for at least a term to continue induction?
    Really hope you have better luck than I did xx

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The proposals do not limit the time you can take to do Induction

They limit the time you can do supply work in the state 5-16 sector without completing induction.

At the moment the limit is 16 months, counting from the first day you do non-induction supply. The 16 months can be extended by a year.

The proposal does away with extensions and the difficulty of tracking from whatever your start date was and makes it 5 years from qualification.

In theory, there'd be nothing stopping you from qualifying, getting a job in an Academy, Free School or Independent on a non-Induction contract (actually most of those do all provide Induction, but they don't legally have to), working there for 20 years and then going to a conventional state school (if there are any left by then) as an NQT (if there still are such things in 2032..)