1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfairly treated now I'm part-time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by blt, Sep 28, 2015.

1. blt

blt New commenter

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can give me some help and advice in advance of a meeting tomorrow.

At my school there was the threat of redundancies over the last academic year. To cut a long story short, in my department of four, three of us agreed to reduce our hours in order that none of us would lose our job (we were deemed as being one person over). I reduced my hours from full time to 3 days (0.6).

I am on UPS3 and had a small TLR. The TLR was the £2200 one and had originally been for a sixth form post I held, which then changed to a senior tutor and then to departmental responsibilities.

Now two things have happened this term so far:

1. I emailed an assistant head to ask how he would like me to pro-rata my duties (three a week for full time staff). He replied that I had to do the flu allocation as 'there would not be enough cover if part time staff reduced their duty allocation. This really doesn't seem fair (we're a big school so there are a lot of staff).

2. I got paid today and on my wage slip, my TLR has completely vanished. I called the payroll lady who said that she had just done what the Finance Director told her too. Then fifteen minutes later I get an email from the deputy head asking me to 'call by her office' to chat about my confusion with my TLR.

Any advice? I feel like I'm being taken for a ride. I was upset and anxious about it and now I'm just annoyed.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So does this mean that if you no longer are getting your TLR even at reduced rate, you no longer have those departmental duties? Something to discuss with the DH.

3. blt

blt New commenter

There is no TLR there at all. The nature of my job has changed in the time I've been at the school and the responsibilities I've now got are more academic really than pastoral.

When I offered to reduce my days there was no mention of my TLR - I assumed it would simply be 0.6 like the rest of my salary.

It feels like they're taking the p*** as no-one mentioned it and they've just taken it. Oh, but emailed to say I can still do all my duties, attend HoDs meetings (we don't have a HoD), not reduce the number of dept meetings I attend etc.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The Part-Time Workers (prevention of Less-Favourable Treatment) Regulations make it unlawful to treat a part-time worker less-favourably than a full-time worker.

That means that you cannot be made to do more duties in comparison with a full-time worker, miss out on training, other benefits etc etc.

I believe I remember that a TLR cannot be paid pro-rata - can someone confirm?

BelleDuJour likes this.
  5. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I think that's true, in the school I worked at the TLR couldn't be held by a part-timer initially, but then they changed that and allowed part timers to have a TLR but they had to do the full TLR and not share it.

6. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

We paid a TLR in a pro rata basis....

7. georgey32

georgey32 New commenter

You can pro rata a tlr x

8. blt

blt New commenter

I've got a couple of friends who reduced their hours to part time and they have had their on a pro-rata basis this year.

One colleague did ask for it in full but school refused. Even though no-one else had the responsibility of the TLR on the colleague's day off.

9. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

I'm probably behind the times, but aren't TLRs safeguarded for 3 years?

10. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

My jobshare and I do 0.4 and 0.6.

Would we be able to share a TLR that is pro-rata for each of us?

11. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

At my old school, we had a member of staff who went from full time to part time with a TLR. At first their TLR was paid pro-rata (0.4) but they argued that no-one else was taking responsibility on the days that they didn't work so as they were still taking full responsibility for this area, they should receive the full TLR. The head and governors agreed.

12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Many thanks for the clarification on TLRs. x