1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfair timetable?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Red_lightning, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Red_lightning

Red_lightning New commenter

I received my timetable last week and it only consists of non exam classes( no yr11-13). I've compared timetables with my colleagues, and I found out that a few teachers In my department usually just teach exam classes only. I recently joined this school(really enjoy working there). I don't know what to make of this if I'm honest, should I speak to my HOD?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why is this a problem for you?

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sounds very odd that you didn't know this before the end of the summer term (or at some point during the summer holiday if the school isn't every well organised). As a former HoD (in several schools) and a timetabler, I can't imagine how a school could function i the timetable wasn't completed (& teachers told theirs) well before September...

However it is really up to the HoD & SLT to allocate classes as they think best...But if you choose to look elsewhere, or become very negative towards the Dept., I couldn't blame you.

However some teachers prefer non-examination classes...maybe they thought you did?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Red_lightning

Forgot to mention, I received my timetable at the end of last year! Sorry for the confusion! I fully understand it's up to the discretion of the HOD and SLT regarding staffing and timetabling. I just find it a bit odd.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

That makes a difference!

I think you should have tackled your HoD directly last term... and perhaps discussed options with your Union. Too late to do this now, so I'd suggest you speak to your HoD and tell them you are unhappy (I'd play the 'not teaching exam classes will be bad for my professional development' card). I'd also try to get a promise that you will be given an exam class or two next year...

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

whats the probelm? some years that is just the way the cookie crumbles

pepper5 and border_walker like this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Had I raised something like this and the end of last year and it wasn't sorted, it is something I'd consider moving on for. Without A-level teaching this isn't the same job and raising it at the end of summer term gives time for the timetable to be adjusted.
    However, if you didn't raise it then, I think you have to accept that it's too late to make changes for this year but I'd insist on it for next year and explain that, should A-level teaching not be available at this school, you'll need to think about moving somewhere where it is.

FrankWolley likes this.
  8. Red_lightning

You're right, I should of had the chat with my HoD directly last term.

I just like to add, I have no problem teaching any class as I enjoy teaching even after this long(currently on my 5th year now). I don't want to be negative towards my department( as they are a lovely bunch) or anything like that.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Good. Teaching Mathematics at any level is a great responsibility and intrinsically rewarding. Your allocation in your early years at this school gives you the opportunity for fine-grain reconnaissance of a breadth of cohorts many of whom you may get to teach in their GCSE year & onwards. Get to know your troops before you lead them into the charge.

Do not bother your union with this issue, nor your department with your union.

phlogiston and pepper5 like this.
  10. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

This is an issue! Career progression! Do you ever want to be Hod? Progress up the pay scale? You will need data! Speak to your hod who has probably given the classes to himself and his mates. Then speak to his line manager. Get it in writing that you want an exam class next year and you want training this year to prepare. Insist on it being one of your PM targets.

FrankWolley likes this.