1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfair Interview.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kts1966, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi, I hope someone can help.
    The situation is this. I have an interview for 2nd in Dept, there is also another internal applicant as well as four external. I only know the year group I am teaching and there is a chance it is a group I see regularly, however the other internal applicant was discussing the lesson plan with the T/A and handing over a copy of plan,resources,powerpoint etc.- meaning that they know which group they are teaching. I know it shouldn't matter, but it's very difficult not to feel peeved.
    It is impossible to have a 'level playing field' when there are internal and external applicants but I feel that it's not right that they can plan knowing they wil have classroom support when I cannot. I get on well with the other applicant and will not mind if they are successful, it's more the knowledge that someone in the department has loaded the dice.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. Hi, I hope someone can help.
    The situation is this. I have an interview for 2nd in Dept, there is also another internal applicant as well as four external. I only know the year group I am teaching and there is a chance it is a group I see regularly, however the other internal applicant was discussing the lesson plan with the T/A and handing over a copy of plan,resources,powerpoint etc.- meaning that they know which group they are teaching. I know it shouldn't matter, but it's very difficult not to feel peeved.
    It is impossible to have a 'level playing field' when there are internal and external applicants but I feel that it's not right that they can plan knowing they wil have classroom support when I cannot. I get on well with the other applicant and will not mind if they are successful, it's more the knowledge that someone in the department has loaded the dice.
    Any ideas anyone?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Ask the person organising your interview what class you will be teaching for your interview lesson??

4. Sorry, I did not make that bit clear. I did ask but was told that all the information I was entitled to was included in the letter. This just states year group and time. I am assuming that the other person asked and got a different response.

5. Sounds really unfair. I would go and complain, but it could jeopardise your chances if that person is interviewing you.

6. Talk to the other applicant and/or T/A ?? Try to make it casual, see if you can extract some information. Good luck!

7. Would it be really cynical to suggest that perhaps the decision has already been made?

Go show them how good you are and change their minds, good luck!

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I suggest that the other internal candidate has worked out which class it will be from the time of their observed interview lesson and the school timetable of what class will be in that subject?

9. Perish the thought.[​IMG]

10. Much more likely that the colleagues whose classes are being used have been told, and the person who has the other candidate in their lesson has told them, probably in spite of being told not to.

11. Have you had the interview yet, did you get it?

12. Lesson went really well however didn't get it, went to another candidate altogether.
    Thanks for all suggestions on here, without saying too much I was given contradictory information from two SLT members so by the time I was in the interview I didn't really want it. No sour grapes - just not sure it's the place for me - have another couple of applications in hand anyway.
    Thanks for the advice, help and healthy dose of cynicism which kept me grounded!!