1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfair interview process...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CostNothing2011, Jul 15, 2011.

1. A member of Senior Management verbally confirms a Head of Year job to 1 of 6 applicants (i.e. "It's your job"), <u>before</u> the interview takes place.
    When questioned by another member of staff, they agree that they DID verbally confirm it.
    They play a significant role in the interview process of all the candidates.
    The applicant is confirmed out of a strong field.
    Any thoughts? Advice?

2. They have no need to interview if they don't want to. Going through the motions is a waste of time. Having said that I use to work in a school where this happened all the time, we were all very used to certain individuals being ear marked for jobs. It is very unprofessional for this to happen but it seems professionalism isn't always a priority to some.

3. Thanks for the reply. Every job at our school is earmarked, but it's rare for someone in SMT to (even privately) confirm it to the applicant and another teacher before the interview.
    Is there any way of calling that "unprofessionalism" to account?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why would you want to make a fuss? What would be gained from doing so?

If it is just revenge to the member of SMT concerned, then there is little point.

If the person ultimately appointed is the best person for the job then hey no harm done!

5. Not that I am aware of. Some SMT are just terrible, good to just know and avoid them the best you can. If things like that are common knowledge around the school it won't do them any favours. If they are being so open about their unprofessionalism that is both arrogant and stupid. They will come unstuck!

6. You may want to check out your LA's whistleblower policy that allows you to report these concerns without the danger of being victimised for doing so. You won't have to report it to anyone in school and can remain confidential.
    I'm just about to do the same thing for a very similar offence, but on a larger scale!