1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unfair... I know its been discussed before buuuut..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LucSki, May 3, 2012.

1. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

<font size="2">A school I'm
    applying to is observing teachers in their own settings or at the school.
    Surely unfair for us who don't have their own setting where the children don't
    know us and we don't know them?!</font>

<font size="2">Has already put
    me off a bit as I think how can I compare?!</font>

<font size="2">To be fair if I
    was in my own setting I&rsquo;d be over the moon it was done this way...!</font>

<font size="2">heyho x</font>

2. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

<font size="2">A school I'm
    applying to is observing teachers in their own settings or at the school.
    Surely unfair for us who don't have their own setting where the children don't
    know us and we don't know them?!</font>

<font size="2">Has already put
    me off a bit as I think how can I compare?!</font>

<font size="2">To be fair if I
    was in my own setting I&rsquo;d be over the moon it was done this way...!</font>

<font size="2">heyho x</font>

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unfair for those people on supply and is not an 'even playing field', but doesn't look like there's any option for you!
    Best of luck with it anyway!

4. Look on the bright side - at least your marking and displays won't be scrutinised as well as your lesson! When I'm being observed in my own setting I feel like Ofsted is in!
    I think it's unfair but they will know that you have a disadvantage not knowing the children's names, routines and abilities. Try to find out as much as you can before you go in.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here is what I wrote a year ago. No, sorry, two years ago.
    • S/he knows the children's names
    • S/he knows the children's personalities
    • S/he knows the children's levels, difficulties
    • S/he knows the work done previously that can be built upon
    • S/he can actually do a class the day before (the hour before?) setting the scene for the observed class
    • S/he need not panic if there is a hitch as own materials, facilities all to hand
    • S/he may have a known TA in the classroom
    • S/he can feel confident because of all the above
    However, another candidate, perhaps a PGCE or BEd Student, or an unemployed or supply teacher, is teaching in an unknown school, where children are unknown, facilities unknown, and nervous anyway.
    POINT B: Conversely, this isn't a level playing field because:
    One candidate, in own school, is teaching in circumstances where:
    • The observers do not have the background knowledge of the children to judge learning and progress
    • The observers do not have access to the RaiseonLine or other value-added and achievement data for the children
    • The observers do not have familiarity with the children's behaviour issues with other teachers
    • The observers (are they all Ofsted-trained and experienced?) cannot assess within the context of that school
    However, another candidate is teaching within the observers' own school where the observers know the school, its context, its pupils.
    POINT C: This may not be a level playing field if:
    A school is so set on observing in applicants' own schools that those from outside the travelling distance are discarded immediately on the grounds of distance.
    POINT D: This may also not be a level playing field if:
    A school insists on applicants making a school visit before application, and says it will not consider applicants who do not. Even if:
    • Your current Head won't allow time off for school visits
    • You are working on supply, so lose a day's teaching money if you go on a visit
    • You live at the other end of the country, so it is not practical to visit
    • You live at the other end of the country, so it is too expensive to visit
    I am not happy about schools insisting on school visits, never have been. It's just an extra interview opportunity for the school - why can't shortlisted candidates be given a school visit at the beginning of the interview day?
    But I am even less happy about schools who suggest observing candidates in their own schools.
    It is not a level playing field.
    It is not fair.
    I think that sums up nicely my point of view here.
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT seminar on 5th May.

6. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Nicely put, Theo!
    When are you taking over as Education Minister, again? [​IMG]

7. I have never understood the observing people in their own environment - surely they want to see how candidates do on the turf they will be working on? But then I have never understood the insistence on school visits when applying for jobs either - they can be helpful but some heads insisting - how can people visit when they are teaching full time and the visits are at 1pm or 2pm?
    There do seem some odd practices at the moment.