1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unexplained weight gain, worried now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachermiss, May 16, 2011.

1. Hello, have been dieting since January and have lost just under three stone, still got about two and a half stone left. All was going well until last week. I weighed on the Tuesday and was _ stone 3lbs, three days later on my Friday weigh day I was about three quarter of a stone heavier! I had stayed on the diet the three days between the Tuesday and the Friday and this extra weight has still not gone - was not due a period then or now so am now worried why this big, rapid gain has happened - has anyone experienced this?
    Thank you.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yeah... when I was pregnant :p

3. I'm def not pregns ant.
    A few days following this I was off work with a painful swollen stomach and a sort of indigestion pain near my breast bone.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yep. You've definitely got it....

5. Can't get pregnant, not possible without assistance that I haven't had.

6. Have you thought of asking a doctor?

7. The week of swollen stomach was followed by panic attacks for which I am off work at present, due to see him later this week, will ask him about weight gain then.

8. Woah, nearly 3 stone in under 5 months (if you do mean <u>this</u> January!)? That's a big loss in a relatively short time.
    Maybe the gain has something to with this. I guess it's difficult to sustain such losses and the weight may start to creep on a bit more easily from now on.
    I'm no expert though and would agree with the suggestion to speak with your GP, just to rule out thyroid problems or whatever.
    Good luck - hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

9. oh, missed your last post about the panic attacks.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Definitely see your doctor, the most important thing is to get rid of the anxiety.

11. Also, the body can do funny things when under stress. I remember losing half a stone in one week at the height of PND. I have never lost so much weight all at once!

12. Thank you, am currently on Diazepam...was starting to feel a little better anxiety wise but am now crying that something is seriously wrong with me stomach wise.

13. I doubt for one minute it is anything serious - but this is why you should check with your doc, to put your mind at rest.
    As for the weight gain - there can be a zillion of reasons. You may need to adapt your diet and exercise programme having already lost so much weight, as you will have reached a plateau and your metabolism will have changed.
    It is generally only a short-term thing - but again, you could ask your doctor about it.
    More importantly at the moment, you should be working on the anxiety attacks and when you have that sorted, think about continuing to lose weight.
    You have done wonderfully well to lose 3 stones - so don't worry that you will never lose weight again. You will!

14. Thank you but have just weighed and realised I've put on a stone and a half in just over two weeks, that can't be normal.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Are your scales working properly? Are you wearing more clothes than normal, maybe you have something in your pocket, but the most important thing is to stop worrying, see your GP, then think about your weight.

16. It sounds so obvious, but it is what I was thinking!
    Try not to get yourself into a tizz - it could be something as simple as water retention (I can easily put on a couple of kilos in a day in the Summer and all of it is water!).
    Keep calm and stop weighing yourself every 5 minutes or you'll drive yourself nuts. Wait and see what the doctor says!

17. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Yes, same scales, same time of day, same clothing etc............am trying to keep busy and stop thinking about it!

18. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

It could be that you are bloated and retaining fluid without there being anything wrong - I used to retain 4-9lbs before a period

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm immediately thinking of my aunt here - she gained a lot of weight very quickly, and inexplicably, and one day was rushed to hospital - they doctors discovered a huge water filled cyst inside her abdomen, they operated and she was fine and dandy. It wasn't life threatening I hasten to add, but please do get this checked out asap. As she has a really wide pelvis there was no visible swelling.
    I really hope you are fine and there is nothing more serious going on than some extreme water retention.

20. I am sure there is nothing to worry about but no-one can diagnose you over the internet even if they are medically qualified.
    Go to the doctor to put your mind at rest.