1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unexplained mysteries

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jan 4, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

What "unexplained" phenomena or incident captures your imagination most? At the moment, due to a podcast I listened to recently, I'm a bit obsessed with The Dyatlov Pass incident. Lots of conspiracy theories around this one, and the small details of the story are very, very creepy.
    https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/12/28/dyatlov-pass-incident/

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

What really happened to Madeleine McCann - I don't think we'll ever know the truth about that.

mothergoose2013 and Juliet6079 like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The mysteries surrounding constructions like the Sphinx, Pyramids, Gobekli Tepe just fascinate me... how mainstream historians try to fit them into pre-existing narratives but some pieces of evidence might contradict things... it's just really interesting... I'm not sure how much I believe it... but yeah it fascinates me.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd like to know why Chris Grayling hasn't been sacked.

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Spontaneous combustion.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I read about this a few years ago, sounds just like an avalanche and overactive imaginations to me.

xmal and sbkrobson like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd also like to know where my life went.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Probably not actually spontaneous at all, I presume you mean of people?

More like a slow burn of incapacitated people, dead from heart attack for instance and ignited by a nearby source. The body fat melts and is wicked towards the flame by clothing over a period of a couple of days or more.

BetterNow and nomad like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...or whoever it was that thought the manufacture of Garibaldi Biscuits was a good idea

towncryer likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think the avalanche theory was written off by experts in the field
    . There's a good podcast about it (a three parter) on the Unexplained podcast.

11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

This frightens the bejezuz out of me. But I'm wondering if it's the thought of the tartan slippers that are usually found in the remains that actually worries me the most.

Knowing the truth doesn't actually make it better.

caress and freckle06 like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Why it is that no matter how much my income is, I always seem to end up skint.

BetterNow, caress, dunnocks and 3 others like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

:eek:

Mermaid7 likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Along with many others I am still genuinely wondering why we seem hell bent on destroying ourselves in this country.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sometimes I can't sleep at night for wondering why Donald Duck wraps himself at the waist in a bath towel when exiting the shower and yet when clothed and going about his normal business he is devoid of either trousers or underpants.

16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Donald Trump.

17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

A mystery which besets me is why would any sentient human being find Mrs Brown's Boys amusing?

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I assume you mean spontaneous human combustion.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Why I saw a black panther walking across a field on the edge of the town when I was on my way to school one morning. I later met two other people who'd seen it in different places.

Why someone at the far end of my workplace's car park apparently vanished when I briefly walked behind some trees in their general direction whilst keeping a close eye on their only feasible way out.

If JFK was shot not only by Lee Harvey Oswald, but accidentally by a panicking member of the secret service in the car behind who was handling an assault rifle that he hadn't been trained to use. To my mind the most feasible explanation so far.

Why nobody ever sees ghosts of stone age people.

BetterNow and sbkrobson like this.
  20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Indeed yet he always wears a hat.

sbkrobson likes this.