1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unexplained infertility...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Chrissi T, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

Anyone else suffering from unexplained infertility? It's been 2 and a half years since we started trying properly and we began investigations into fertility in July last year.

I love free healthcare, but it's frustrating at times as the priorities for fertility investigations/treatment in our area seem pretty low down the list. Experience so far - a long and arduous process. I've had all the bloods (progesterone borderline) and recently an HSG (apparently tubes look fine), husband has had two semen samples taken (all good but morphology a bit low in first) and awaiting results for second.

I did have a look to see if there was already another thread that I could join with others in the same boat, but my computer won't let me search the 'staffroom' section and I just keep getting resources for GCSE biology about fertility treatment!

2. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Yup! Me!

I have polycystic ovaries (but not pcos) and on cycle 6 of clomid. TTC 2 years and started tests in July last year too. They keep cancelling and changing our appointments without telling us. Haven't had many tests/ bloods and I think that they really aren't looking for a cause.

I'm leaving teaching at Easter. I can't bear a full teaching load and all of this. It looks like the consultant is keen to push us on to IVF at our next appointment seeing that clomid has failed. I hate that word - 'failed.' I've become a shadow of my former self...

3. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

It does depress you.i joined babycentre with others trying and it was a real help.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

5. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Short protocol is on for either May or June, depending on how fast the paperwork goes through at the 'paperwork appointment.'

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Me!

I had IUI and IVF years ago and then gave up.
    I am now a few weeks pregnant.

Chrissi T likes this.
  7. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

I've got a meeting at the hospital after Easter in which I assume they will formally tell me the HSG showed my tubes are fine. I'm hoping then that they may try me on Clomid or something, but to be honest not really sure. I assume that would be the next step. Oscillator - leaving teaching is something i've been seriously considering recently as i'm sure the stress is potentially playing a part. Lilachardy, congratulations!

8. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

We're in the unexplained category after 2 and a half years with no success and I've had every blood and medical test done except a laproscopy, I had a hysteroscopy and HSG, both fine (as I have no symptoms of endo) or killer cells (only certain places do this and it's relatively unheard of). We got our IVF funding at the start of the year and will hopefully begin our first go soon. We wanted to start this month but there were no spaces left. It's so difficult in this profession and the fact that so many people who got married or even just got together after us have gotten pregnant or have just had their baby. I cannot face going to see certain relatives or friends and avoid putting myself in that situation as I feel it is just so unfair. I love them all dearly of course but you can't help but feel envious and frustrated when no one knows what is wrong with you.

I thought maybe my diet was an issue so I tried to be healthy for a few months and then couldn't see the point (i'm a size 12 but could do with losing a stone), especially when my friend who eats out all the time, smokes like a chimney and drinks like a trooper got pregnant with trying at all (she's about a size 20) so clearly weight and diet weren't the issue. Then my cousin who is nearly 40 met her partner and in less than two years got married and are expecting their first child together this Summer (they already have 3 between them from previous relationships). I am just really hoping when we go through our first cycle it is successful as it is so difficult to keep it together some days and the stress of teaching does not help.

I have felt for us that we are being put on the back burner as we are relatively young but I know of others who began at our age and are still no where nearer to success 10 years later. It is tough but I have a few close people I have told who keep me sane and are there when I need to talk to someone or have a good cry to.

I have to say fertility uk has been a brilliant for giving me hope and I suggest that anyone having a dark day go on there to read some of the success stories. Wishing you all baby dust for the future and congratulations lilachardy. It's stories like yours that give me hope.

lilachardy likes this.
  9. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

Well congratulations for finally getting to the IVF stage! I’ve also felt like we’re not high enough on the priority list at the moment (I’m still on the good side of 35).

What I think I hate most about everything so far is myself when other people tell me they are pregnant. I feel like such a cow for not being able to be happy. I’m turning into a bitter person and have had to distance myself from a lot of people. I’m hoping our friendships survive! That and all the people who seem to think that if I use ovulation sticks that will be the answer to all my problems!

I will definitely look up fertility uk.

10. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

Thanks Chrissi- it took a while to get there with the IVF and some very uncaring health professionals along the way- one who dared mutter "you just need to relax", another who said "you'll have one in no time and be wondering when you can get rid of them" and then finally "you're still young". Constant ignorant and throwaway comments from aunts and uncles sayong "you'll be next" or "isn't it about time you thought about children". I know that feeling! You go through various stages of bitterness, envy, resent and then self loathing at why you can't do the same. It feels like you're being punished and you don't know why as you watch the umpteenth pregnancy announcement on social media or scan pictures then hear stories of how they 'weren' t really trying" or it was a first time success. You are happy for them but then also feel like a cow but it does wind me up when they start complaining about their kids as people just don't know how lucky they are (my sister does this sometimes despite knowing our situation). A few of my friends have asked why they haven't seen or heard from me but I just use work as an excuse. I like you wonder how many friends I will have left but hopefully when they realise what has been going on after we finally have our miracle they'll be a bit more understanding. Let me know how you get on. Don 't worry about others- you have to focus on your own well being as you don't know where this journey will take you or how long it will take. Put your effort into getting into a positive frame of mind x

11. apostrophefanatic

apostrophefanatic New commenter

Hi lovely... are you having chemical pregnancies? Are you ovulating?

Have you tracked your BBT?

Taking zinc picolinate (22mg) and Magnesium will help with progestrone levels and give you a lovely luteal phase which will help you stay pregnant if you are having chemical pregnancies.

It’ll also help you ovulate if you aren’t.

Best of luck! Xxx