1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unemployment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Every night our local news (oop North) is full of statistics about thousands of people losing their jobs. I am struggling to find employment and don't know anybody else in a similar predicament.
    Surely it can't just be me?

2. Every night our local news (oop North) is full of statistics about thousands of people losing their jobs. I am struggling to find employment and don't know anybody else in a similar predicament.
    Surely it can't just be me?

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I know a few

4. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

My daughter is really struggling to find anything oop north - BSc PGCE and several new office based (and notable) qualifications. Almost 100 applicants for every job and a new box to tick on application forms asking 'are you on the redeployment register'? Meaning they are more likely to be short listed if they are on the register.
    Lots of care home jobs going ......

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Nope. 5 years of supply for me and now we wait to find out if Mr Kibosh is being made redundant or not. I express my hysteria through my **** jokes and taking endless shite.
    You are my sanity.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

(((kibosh)))
    Been there 3 times. It's ****.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its me too! You're definately not alone. x

8. copycat

copycat New commenter

My OH has had many periods of unemployment since being made redundant from a well paid job 10 years ago (longest was 18 months). He has had temporary contracts since then, some of them very low paid.
    It is soul destroying and depressing with a massive impact on all areas of our life. Like yourself we do not personally know anyone else in this situation (we are in the North too).
    You have my sympathy.

9. davidmu

davidmu New commenter

Sadly, so many people have the wrong qualifications. My son's firm are constantly looking for software engineers with knowledge of power stations and pollution control and can never get responses.

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They need to make a better offer.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It is carp isn't it? Was it you or Mr Manashee who had the axe fall?

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I know you were talking about your OH, but I find this to be very true about Supply work.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ooops. That should have been 'talking'.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It was meeeee. In 2001, 2004 and 2009. The last one was a real p*sser - firm went into liquidation a week before pay day, so we were all left high and dry and skinty poo. That was fun. NOT!
    The haulage firm that Mr M worked for went under last week. Thankfully, he'd left >2 years previously. He's still got lots of good mates there though. [​IMG]

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not worked since last August! Had a Temp 1 year contract to cover maternity, then 4 weeks at the language school but since then, there's been nothing, Still I finished an OU course and went to Jordan!
    Hate being at home with nothing to do!!

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] Did the firm really have no idea they were going bankrupt? I have no idea how it works, but are companies not liable to take out an insurance premium of some sort that covers people's wages in this eventuality?

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I don't know anything of your personal circumstances Lapin, but how do you survive with no income?

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pension, not really enough but it pays for food and o/h has a good job. I have always claimed JSA in the past, this gives you NI credits, to help the pension. But I'm bored and having back problems means I can't do things like housework, so need to work to employ a cleaner!!

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You bet your life they did. They timed it to perfection (just before the VAT returns were due in).
    Less than a month after the liquidation, the MD set back up in business under a new name, using the same premises and even tried to get some of his previous emplyees to come back to work for him, but only as self-employed. I think you can imagine the reaction!
    We eventually got most of the money we were due (lost wages, notice pay and redundancy) from the Insolvency Service, but the people who'd been there for many years lost out on a lot of money, because the payouts are limited.

20. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its pants, I have part time work (4 hours a week) and got paid today. Ended up sat infront of my online banking and just cried solid for 30 mins. I hate having to work out how to split my wage between my retired parents adn my OH both of whom are covering my backside at the moment and still not managing to give them anywhere near enough. Then having to use the CC to actually put petrol in the car to get me to said job.
    I've started up on my own in the past few weeks to try and get some real income again, and its early days, but feeling incredibly down this weekend and need to get back to a bit of positivity to find some new business on Monday.
    Sorry to hear there are other experiencing such a rubbish time, lets hope that as D:Ream said things can only get better! x