1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unemployed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Brixtonboy, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Hi all

Wondering if there are teachers out there still job hunting. Don't mind whether you're NQT or experienced, please contribute to this thread.

On top of this, if you're someone wanting to lecture or haggle at those who are currently unemployed, please move along.

And yes, I'm unemployed since the spring term and I would have a position for the summer term but this fell through due to Covid19 and the job was through an agency. Now? Still searching for a role.

Looking forward to hearing everyone who are unemployed and hopefully make some feel less isolated.

Peace and love

BB

lau_bellagamba likes this.
  2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

Are you doing supply as well @Brixtonboy ?? (Obviously not right now) sign up with an agency for September if you aren’t already. But don’t go with one that is an umbrella company.
    I am looking for a full time job though too since January. Although haven’t been in full time job since end of last academic year

agathamorse and Brixtonboy like this.
  3. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I know it may be of little comfort but I think at the moment there are lots of teachers holding onto jobs because of the current situation. Once things settle down I am sure there will be lots of jobs out there. Because I'm not looking, I don't know how many jobs were out there over the last few months but I am sure that the situation will change if/when our current situation changes. It might also be possible that schools take on extra teachers dependent on how things open up in September. Keep looking - I'm sure something will turn up. Good luck.

4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Yep! One more interview in the last week of term.... and recognising that may be the last....

5. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Agencies have been awful. Thinking of dropping one after an ongoing chase them.

6. ajc89

There’s actually loads of jobs where I am - especially secondary - but not in my willing to travel to distance

Brixtonboy likes this.
  7. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Thanks mate. Appreciate your kind words and wisdom.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect there will be a plethora of jobs going around Christmas

Brixtonboy likes this.
  9. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

I hope so.

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Interestingly I think a few of my colleagues have taken advantage of the ‘virtual interview no teaching’ to secure a job for September.
    People who I don’t think would have gone for jobs because they would not have felt confident teaching an interview lesson have suddenly got jobs when they never expressed a desire to move before.
    If I’m being mean, and if this is replicated in other schools, this means that in 6 months (following what is now in my eyes a standard 6 month probation period) there may be a number of vacancies advertised when schools realise that these ‘zoom appointments’ can’t cut it in the classroom.

sparkleshine and Brixtonboy like this.
  11. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

For me, I prefer to teach in the classroom and show what I am able to offer; I suck at interviews.

jarndyce likes this.
  12. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Sorry to hear about your situation too. I've signed onto several agencies and I've been pestering them for a while and even chased opportunities which they've advertised! I'm feeling let down by the agencies at the moment for several reasons, one being that I'm having to remind them about me. Another agency keeps on sending generic emails and updates which are useless or pointless. Frustrating is the word as employed teachers that I know moan about going into school!

13. ajc89

Thanks, but it’s actually fine! I’ve not been full time this year - but i didn’t want to be. My job hunting has been for this September. I had a bit of a hard year in school last year - on top of not knowing my contract was fixed... so I was fine with just doing supply. I have been able to take time off and do what I want when I want!! It will probably be like that a little while longer too I suspect!!

Brixtonboy likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ironically I only started to get better at interviews after I went on supply for a year.

15. stormski

stormski New commenter

Im just finishing a maternity cover and have been struggling to find a job for September too! I must admit I'm quiet worried but keep talking myself off the ledge by telling myself there'll be jobs opening up around Christmas. I think people have probably stayed put due to the current situation.

Brixtonboy likes this.
  16. theartymiss

theartymiss New commenter

I left my job in April after we moved house at Christmas and the commute was ridiculous (minimum 2 hours each way in rush hour) and hoped to get a position for September.II've have 5 interviews now and got close 4 times but no job. Like someone else said, I had signed up to agencies but they've been useless and one refused to help me get any of the longer term positions they were advertising because I couldnt do day to day due to the fact I took my son out of nursery when I realised I'd be unemployed and schools were barely open.

I've realised that now I'm unlikely to get anything until at least October or Christmas and it really got me down. I hope there is an influx of jobs soon x

Brixtonboy likes this.
  17. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

I'm also unemployed and agree it's dispiriting. I returned from overseas (which meant I gave in my notice last November, before covid struck, b****cks). If only one had a crystal ball...Despite being willing to relocate anywhere, being shortlisted a number of times and having several interviews, still haven't secured a job. Have found it relatively easy in the past as I'm EYFS but I suspect the few years of experience I now have under my belt may be counting against me.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can do supply either come September. There isn't a lot in my area and I'm living with my elderly mum who has respiratory issues, so can't risk exposing her if I work in a school while living here.

The market seems weird right now. There weren't nearly as many positions advertised after the May notice period as there usually is. I'm hoping that more jobs will appear for a January start also or that perhaps something may pop up through an agency.

On the other points raised, I actually have a history of being great at interviews but fluffing my interview lessons due to nerves. Two of the best jobs I've ever had I got without having to do interview lessons. So the Zoom appointment thing isn't too bad for me...if only it had worked out.

Solidarity to all, it really is rubbish, especially during a pandemic. I hope we all get jobs!

18. Amen to that @sparkleshine! I am unemployed after teaching unqualified and training at the same time. They didn't renew my contract....
    If it makes anyone feel better, I have heard a lot of experienced teachers say that they think there will be more jobs around when there is less uncertainty. My Tutor at Uni also said that her NQT year started in January.
    Just done probably last interview of the year, didn't get that either!!
    Hang in there everyone. The right job is out there for all of us!

19. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Sorry to here this but the agencies suck at the moment.

20. Brixtonboy

Brixtonboy New commenter

Amen.