1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unemployed kids.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I feel so sorry for one of my children who recently graduated. She cannot find any kind of paid work and is becoming disheartened.
    That makes two unemployed people in our household. Another at uni - what for I wonder, in the long run and another doing A levels. All that support during university etc for the prospect of nothing. Really sad times for our young people.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I feel so sorry for one of my children who recently graduated. She cannot find any kind of paid work and is becoming disheartened.
    That makes two unemployed people in our household. Another at uni - what for I wonder, in the long run and another doing A levels. All that support during university etc for the prospect of nothing. Really sad times for our young people.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What about us oldies, also unemployed?

It's not just a kids problem!

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

My niece graduated last summer. Fortunately she continued to work at Asda during weekends and vacations while she was studying, so at least she isn't unemployed.

Hard times for many people, and of course it's an employer's market just now.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes I know lots of people have lost/are losing/can't find work.
    It is a struggle for many at the moment.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My eldest is about to leave secure full time employment (originally a part time job before she graduated) to travel abroad and hopefully find work for a few months there. I have explained that they also have a recession but she has to be allowed to find her own way. Not sure what she's supposed to do if she returns early having found nothing.

7. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Just about to watch the programme starting now 9.00 on BBC 3 about young unemployed and living back at home. My own son graduated with a 1st in 2008 and was unemployed for about 18 months before getting a job on the Govt Future Jobs fund. Something the latest Govt has scrapped. It was actually a good scheme and son had his contract extended another 6 months . However they have just made half workforce redundant as well as those on his scheme so he will probably be returning home again soon. At least he now has a years experience of work.

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Have your children considered VSO?

9. My elder son worked for nothing to get his foot in the door and even that was hard to come by!

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I was unemployed in the early eighties, I resorted to reading JPSatre and Camus, I hope thing are not that bad yet. I reckon the thing to do is make the most of the free time.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I think, and I KNOW the Tory diehards on here will disagree, that a case would be made for supporting early retirements to free up jobs. There must be loads of people who would retire early for the right incentives. (I do not necessarily mean teachers either, or even just public sector jobs).

12. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It is a worry - my youngest leaves school after her A levels this summer with no plans yet. I am a supply with varying amounts of work. I hope she finds something but if not she will be doing some voluntary work if I have any say in the matter. It is heartbreaking to see the bright kids she knows from last year just signing on.

13. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

The trouble with that, jacob is that the youth don't have the skills to take up the jobs ( imagine in industry, mechanics who have been there foe 30 years know the job inside out, someone fresh out of training simply doesn't )
    Having said that, there is an argument for slow but steady replacement of such workers by younger ones but that's a long-term project and to be frank, many of the younger generation don't fancy hard work and certainly don't want to get their hands dirty. The " you can't teach me anything so I'm not listenening to you " attitude doesn't help either. My OH is training an apprentice at the moment and he says his biggest problem is that said apprentice thinks he knows best and doesn't listen ( very dangerous in a busy factory with heavy machinery )