1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Undocumented students and an uncertain future

Discussion in 'US – Education news' started by lanokia, Apr 6, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39479029

Sitting in a lecture hall at the University of California, Los Angeles, Maria Marquez found her mind was wandering.

The history undergraduate was wondering what would happen if she or a member of her family were to be deported from the United States.

"I remember sitting in class and making a list of people I would contact," she says.

"I made a list of the lawyers I would go to and the paperwork I would need."

Ms Marquez, 25, is an "undocumented student". Her family moved from Guadalajara, Mexico to California without papers when she was just three years old and have lived there ever since.

Hundreds of thousands of students are in a similar position. They have succeeded at school, and started university, with dreams of professional careers in fields such as medicine and law.

2. lidaca

lidaca New commenter

At 25, is she still maintaining her Mexican citizenship? She is an adult now, making adult decisions. This is a far different issue from that of students still under the age of 18.

3. dharmabhum1960

dharmabhum1960 New commenter

I see nothing in the original post to indicate that the 3 year old girl had a Mexican passport when she arrived? I think that is what you are referring to as in maintaining Mexican citizenship? If she was brought illegally into to the US she may neither US nor Mexican citizenship.

4. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

My understanding is " if the child was born in Mexico of Mexican parents they are Mexican, with or with out a passport.