1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Undervalued and unappreciated

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sum1304, Jul 23, 2019.

1. sum1304

sum1304 New commenter

Having worked in a school for two years and two months, I thought I was a valued member of staff. I went in early and left late. Picked up emails on my day off and worked accordingly. Had very difficult classes with next to no support. It was my last day today, not a word of appreciation or a simple thankyou for my efforts. No collection done for me and a tiny card given, that no staff member signed, with a bunch of flowers. Nothing special said about me. I felt extremely disappointed and disheartened.
    I have never had such a sending off from any school. Any thoughts?

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Be grateful that you've left!

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Er, double post? How? Sorry!

sum1304 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given you also posted this in February...
    I agree with @Marshall and think you should just be pleased you've left.

A small card and bunch of flowers is way better than a heap of insincere nonsense.

5. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Some schools get bitter when their staff go. Its sad but true. Your lm should have organised something. Have nothing more to do with the school but smile sweetly. You are in a happier place. And congratulations.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I was so p*****d off when I left my last school, I didn't even go to my "leaving do". It didn't bother me in the slightest even though I'd been there 6 years. I have never looked back.

7. sum1304

sum1304 New commenter

It seems I'm not alone...makes me feel a bit better.

8. sum1304

sum1304 New commenter

To be honest, I have been regretting going myself.

9. efm

efm New commenter

A sad sentiment but an increasingly valid point in a job that has a pshe curriculum/promotes school values...for children only it seems.

wark17, MollyM, jlishman2158 and 5 others like this.
  10. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Whilst I agree that some of the send offs I have seen have indeed been insincere and actually inaccurate it would have been nice as you say to have been recognised for your hard work. I always make a point of personally thanking all members of staff highlighting their positive contributions because they all have one however some staff particularly notable in SLT and some middle mangers seriously lack that flair of conversation charm and even sometimes understanding so often seen in say Medicine or Business even on a simple daily basis...a smile a hello it's just so often not de rigour. Those in teaching that do have it ( def the gang on WPD ) stand out way above the rest. I write in terms of observations and not criticisms ....what I have seen in all 3 professions.

ATfan, efm and sum1304 like this.
  11. sum1304

sum1304 New commenter

I feel that if contributions, appreciation speeches and signed cards were done for the two other staff leaving who were there same time as me, why didn't anyone feel the need to do the same for me...just humiliating.

Easyasabc likes this.
  12. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Weirdly, the thought that the current management would be in charge of my send-off is one of the reasons I stay working where I do.

They recently did a send-off for someone they DO like who really hadn’t worked with us for very long but was besties with all the right people, and it was completely OTT - the person ended up on stage with more than they could actually carry: flowers, gifts, hamper, card, vouchers... and echoing gushing testimonials, an enforced party and all!

I couldn’t bear to hear the few disdainful words and wilting bunch of cut-price flowers I probably deserve, let alone the fake charm and gushing twee-ness from the back-stabbers who’d only be too glad to see me go, so I’m waiting a bit longer in the hope someone who CAN do a decent send-off with a simple but quietly genuine thank-you ends up in charge. Who knows? - if that happens, I may not even want to leave..!

13. sum1304

sum1304 New commenter

How can these people just be so fake? I really misjudged. I actually thought colleagues would at least sign a card to say goodbye...

14. efm

efm New commenter

The irony indeed. To work in a caring, transparent environment...

15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

well, I don't think you liked them very much anyway, did you!? I didn't bother to go to my own leaving speeches last time

jlishman2158, ATfan and sum1304 like this.
  16. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Now that's just dam rude and humiliating for those who organised it !

In our school policies come and go. Originally we had collections for all , them only in dep depending how long and supply hardly got any then some one started making good bye cakes and all sorts of things and some who had been there for ages got none , some lots. Also some got maternity gifts some none ( all through collections or who ever could be bothered to organise one. It got and still does get very sticky ! Rise above this nonsense. I suspect the organiser was petty and held an unjustified grudge or used some nonsense policy or even might have forgotten. These people mean nothing to you and well done for leaving. I sometimes honestly think that certain members of staff have never left primary school ..spiritually speaking.

MollyM, ATfan and sum1304 like this.
  17. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Some just are that's the way they are unfortunately maybe they think this will gain popularity in some bizarre way.

18. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

It’s a reflection on the school as a whole, inclusive of your HOD or line manager who should have organised the card signing and a token parting gift. Move on and leave them in the past for that is where they belong.

19. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

From me and I'm sure many on here
    shopping.jpg

ATfan and sum1304 like this.
  20. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

ABSOLUTELY NOT IN YOUR CASE. And others on here who have actually met you know you are a brill teacher. Personally i have always enjoyed your insightful responses and advice. KEEP PROUD STAY BRILLIANT TEACHING NEEDS YOU.

ATfan likes this.