1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Understanding teachers’ pensions

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 8, 2018.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You don't have to take the annuity offered by the AVC provider that you have been paying into. You can request a transfer value and get annuity quotes from other companies.

Two people who save the same amount with an AVC provider (for the same length of time) will get different payouts even if they trigger the AVC at the same time. Annuities are based on calculations about your life expectancy. Women tend to live longer than men and thus get a poorer payout as they are expected to be drawing the annuity for longer. Those in poor health get a bigger payout than those who are healthy. Smokers get a bigger annual payout than non-smokers.

2. loublou554

loublou554 New commenter

Are you all sorted now then Mr Media?
    I ask because I am also a transition member, don't have any AVCs, have spoken to TP several times but still not 100% about the exact date I need to retire.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No not yet. I continue to dither...

4. mikebez1

mikebez1 New commenter

Hi. Is there anywhere that explains the transition part clearly....

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Not to my knowledge. It has taken me five years to finally understand it. You can’t take one pension and not the other. It is madness. You are forced into actuarial reduction even if you take your first pension when it matures. I can’t believe there won’t be a class action eventually,

6. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

...sorry but I'm not sure you've fully understood it yet... ;)
    You only HAVE to take both at the same time IF you take it early, i.e. before 60.
    If you take the final pension salary at 60 you can leave the career average until your NPA (67 for me).

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/...ypes-of-retirement/normal-age-retirement.aspx
    "...If you wish you can leave these benefits until you reach your career average Normal Pension Age and they’ll then be paid in full."

border_walker likes this.
  7. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

The 'clearly' part is up in the air at the moment as any explanation of the current situation may change due to the legal action brought by the firefighters and judges union that they won. The government is still working out whether they will appeal or what they will do if they don't.

Teachers pensions has several pages, such as this one: https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/.../active-members/dianne-transition-member.aspx

8. XTrapnel

XTrapnel New commenter

Hi

I have about 18 years in total paid into the Teaching Pension Scheme and started before 2007 (There are some missing years).

Do the pension people -teacherspensions.co.uk- sort out the monthly payments automaticallyetc when i retire, or do i have to go wiith some other provider like Wesleyan or someone? -I have had a 'Planning for retirement' letter sent through by NASUWT/Wesleyan the other day.

Many thanks for any thoughts on that.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There is no need to go through a provider (like Weslyan), though if offered a free seminar etc I'd certainly attend (but don't sign anything straight away). You DO need to contact the TPS, register on line, and look at the information there. This is what I did 6 years ago, and the TPS paid (& still do) into the bank account I gave them...

border_walker and XTrapnel like this.
  10. XTrapnel

XTrapnel New commenter

Hi Frank, thank you for the reply. I have registered online and have a username etc . So can you tell me if the pension automatically starts at the appropriate age-depending on when you started of course?

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Please remember I retired 6 years ago! So things may have changed...But what happened for me was that the lump sum and the pension started the month after I retired (in my case this was an early retirement, with a reduced pension) and was paid the day before my birthday...which is actually pretty early in the month anyway (if it was the 31st I might have questioned this!)

The whole process was, as far as I remember, pretty smooth - I filled in forms, and got my school to send them to the TPs (I was leaving just before the end of the summer term as I was on a fixed term contract); I kept an eye on the TPS website to see how the application was progressing, and it went exactly as promised...

One point - do check the actual details of your service record carefully: I found one employer (another fixed term contact about 5 years previously) hadn't told the TPS I had worked for them (!) and I had to contact the school, and make sure they did it.

XTrapnel likes this.
  12. XTrapnel

XTrapnel New commenter

Thanks, that's really helpful. I had pretty much forgotten all about it until I received the NASUWT letter and haven't looked at the site for ages. I am 60 in a year or so had better get organised.

Thanks again for your replies.

13. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

You need to apply to get the pension, its not automatic.

14. XTrapnel

XTrapnel New commenter

How do you do that ?

Thanks

15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You do it through the teachers pension website. Register for your online account if you haven’t already done so and look around. When I did it the form was online but I think you could print a paper version, too. Most people apply about three months or so before they actually retire.

16. XTrapnel

XTrapnel New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Yes found it! Also a video explaining everything as well.

Many thanks

cheers

XT

FrankWolley and Sundaytrekker like this.
  17. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Concerned that you didn't already realise this.