1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Understanding pay scales

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by whatamidoing?, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Ive been looking at job adverts for Teaching assistants and have to say I am baffled at working at how much I will actually earn.

For example theres one position which is a Level 2 25 hours per week position. and under the salary its listed as SCP 12-19 £14492 to £17154 pro rata.

So since its only part time 25 hours per week, how do I work out what my actual salary would be?

2. Ive been looking at job adverts for Teaching assistants and have to say I am baffled at working at how much I will actually earn.

For example theres one position which is a Level 2 25 hours per week position. and under the salary its listed as SCP 12-19 £14492 to £17154 pro rata.

So since its only part time 25 hours per week, how do I work out what my actual salary would be?

3. Divide the annual salary by 52; this will give you the weekly salary.

Divide the weekly salary by 37 to get an hourly rate. Multiply that by 25. You now have the weekly rate of pay.

After that it gets complicated. If the ppost is term time only you will get something between 42 - 46 weeks pay per year (it all depends on which LA it is and how they work out holiday pay). Once you know how many weeks you will actually be paid for, multiply weekly salary by that, then divide the result by 12 to give the amount you will get each month.

It might be that the LA pays all TAs full annual salary (ours does, at present), in which case you can just multiply weekly salary by 52 & divide it by 12.

It may also be that the LA counts a working week as 32 1/2 hours (as ours does, at present) so you may have to adjust your calculation of weekly salary accordingly.

On the other hand, it might be a lot easier just to ring the pay dept. of the LA and ask them what the 'actual' salary would be!

4. chey

chey New commenter

What LA are you in ? Its the same pay scales as in mine .

5. After all said and done - you bring home about £600 a month for 25 hours per week.