1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

understanding day and night for reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by scaredstudentteacher, Apr 10, 2011.

1. I want to start some lessons in the area of measures: understanding day and night. I initially want to perhaps look at sorting pictures and sequencing but I don't have any guidance. What would you do give the simple title of understanding day and night while working with 5yr olds?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would start simply - day the sun is in the sky night the moon and stars then ask what they might do in the day - go to school - play in the park - go for a walk and at night - sleep. Draw a picture for each

3. There are lots of nice books that might help with this;
    I've just picked up Night Monkey, Day Monkey by Julia Donaldson (buy 2 get 1free at WH Smiths); I also like Cant Sleep Little Bear (by the otherwise abhorred Martin Wadell) and Fireflies by Eric Carle. The stories are a good prompt for talking around the topic and assessing children's current knowledge as well as being a good starting point for building and consolidating ideas around the topic. Also a good 'bear cave' or some such role play with pillows, blankets and torches is always fun.
    I love this topic although I usually do it in Autumn when I can link it with Bonfire nIght and Diwalli and the childern are actually getting a chance to experience the dark because it's dark by teatime.

4. @ reply number 1, I delivered lesson1 along those lines so thanks for the ideas :)

@ the quoter poster.. I really like the role play area and other suggestions :D thanks. very creative.