1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Underpaid for 4 years! What should i do?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by aseea, May 11, 2011.

1. aseea

aseea New commenter

Hi Daisylot. Thanks for your wonderful advice. I really do appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my post. I will take on what you have said and badger you for more advice/moral support if the course of action does not run smoothly.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Another issue is that you could have progressed on the Upper pay Spineto reach at least UPS2 by now.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Well spotted Jub- yes indeed... Be sure to include that fact in any correspondance, and in your calculation of underpayment.

4. aseea

aseea New commenter

Hi Guys, I have drafted a letter but can not work out exactly how much pay i am chasing. What would be the difference in my pay packet?
    I too was thinking about UPS2 and getting quite saddened by the fact that I should have gone through it long ago! [​IMG]

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You shouldn't have to tell them what they owe you. The LA should be able to do some research and find what theextra payment was for UPS1 in each of the last 4 years.
    What sort of Performance MAnagement have you had? Did your targets reflect Post Threshold standards? If you continued to meet them, I'd suggest that you have a case for getting UPS2 for the last year or two.
    Your Union should be supporting you.
    The issue now is also that getting 4 years of back pay together in one financial year (and you're talking over £10k for 4 years) will possibly push you into higher rate tax on some of it. That might not happen if you are paying into the pension.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would still make some calculations as to what amount should be owed.... Just work out the difference between the M6 you were paid on and the UP1 salary for each year - You can find this by googling teachers pay scales for said academic years....

7. aseea

aseea New commenter

Hi guys,
    I have called the HR team of my education authority. They have advised me that until the Headteacher confirms i have gone through round 1 they cannot do anything but when he does confirm this I will receive the correct payment for the missing amount.
    As I have stated before I have spoken to him several times and he has had my evidence file for almost 2 years now. It is making me increasingly upset. How can i best handle this?