1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Undermining of staff

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pianist1, Jun 30, 2019.

1. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

My sister, who is a TA temporary contract worker in secondary schools, was told patronisingly by another TA in front of a class of children, ‘Oh we don’t mark until the work is finished. Do we children?’. A few days later my sister was told (quite loudly) by the same TA- again in front of the children- not to deal with a child line that. My sister asked the TA if she would mind sharing her advice in a more subtle way, without the tear sevens hearing. The TA simply shrugged, implying that what needs to be said will be said. My sister felt disheartened but moreover, embarrassed. She has since got another contract elsewhere. My question is if a TA is on a contract and they do something contrary to the expectations of a TA, shouldn’t the expectations of the school SEN/ marking/ discipline etc be given to every member of full time/part time/ temporary/ permanent? Is there a legal requirement? If not, then the weak teacher - which there was for these two lessons- is over ridden by the TA then apart from feeling excruciatingly embarrassed in front of 12 year olds, having her ‘errors’ pointed out, how could this situation have been averted?

2. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

My finger wasn’t as accurate for some letters- sorry.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

One would expect policies to be given to all relevant staff, but there may not be policies for everything. There is no legal requirement to have these policies, or on how they should be communicated.

Put simply, the TA was wrong to say something in front of the class. These situations can be averted by thoughtful behaviour. Your sister could have put in a formal complaint, but I doubt if it would have got far. My advice now would be to forget about this, and move on. Had your sister been at the school for longer and this behaviour continued after the initial conversation about it, it could, perhaps have been construed as bullying. In which case, it would have been worth taking action.

strawbs likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

It might be useful to have a standard response ready along the lines of "Oh, great - thank you. When we get a moment later can you show me where this requirement is written as I must have missed it in the induction programme and it would be so useful to see if there's anything else there that I need to catch up on"

JohnJCazorla, Piranha and FrankWolley like this.
  5. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

Thank you for your responses. I’ll pass them onto my sister when I see her in the hols.

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

The other TA sounds like a right nightmare. How patronising and unprofessional!

If your sister has moved on, it's best to drop it though. By the sound of things, this TA is likely to have a reputation as a nightmare anyway.

And as for not marking until the work is finished... Feedback is best when it's instant and in the moment. That's when it has an impact! Also better for workload to mark in the moment too!

1 person likes this.