1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Undermined by member of SLT

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by forestgreen, Apr 29, 2018.

1. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

From an impeccable source, I suspect a member of SLT has made an unprofessional comment to staff about a strategic decision. What would you do?

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I would store that information and keep my eyes and ears open in the future o_O

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Get over it?

Depends on the comment.
    Depends on the decision.
    Depends on my relationship with the SLT member.
    Depends on my relative position in school.

As you merely suspect, I'd just move on if I were you.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why do anything? People criticise decisions all the time and often in very colourful terms. While they do what they are told, I do not care.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Re-think the strategic decision. If it is the right one, the SLT comment is misguided. If it is the wrong one, be thankful they brought it to your attention!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your post on HTs' forum puts a slightly different spin on things.
    Not sure that a member of SLT, possibly out of frustration, mentions to some staff that they don't agree with your decision could really be considered 'unprofessional'. Not an ideal situation, but hardly unprofessional.

I'm not a head, but should something similar happen in my school, I'd want the head to be firmly telling the 'source' to stop telling tales and let people have a rant here and there if they so wish. Most deputies have the odd day when they don't openly support the head's decision on something or other. As long as it isn't a daily occurrence, it matters not.