1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UNDERMILKWOOD- REVISING THE TEXT?

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Apr 13, 2012.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

In what way?

2. In the sense that they just don't get it. The student is highly strung, very stern and presumably religious so a rambunctious, sex obsessed and psychologically challenging piece may not be ideal, but there it is. It also has to be said that the student excels at logical subjects so they are affronted by such frivolities generally... In any case, what to do to square the circle at this late stage?

3. gruoch

Will he respond to the idea that it's a satirical piece? Then he can disapprove all he likes. If this is for WJEC (which I assume it is) he will need an appreciation of the laguage and should probably avoid the recreation/character type question 'Imagine you are .....How would you feel...'
    There's some useful stuff on the WJEC web site: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/10360.pdf on how to tackle the extract question. I had a look at the examiners' report far last summer's exam, but no mention of UMW as far as I could see.

4. Thanks. It's much appreiciated. Can't imagine why a grammar school catering to stuffed shirts &/or the religiously inclined would pick Undermilkwood anyway, much as I think it's brilliant.

5. gruoch

WJEC seems to be the board of choice for the paying classes, these days.