1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Undergraduate dissertation in chemistry based on 11-16 education

Discussion in 'Science' started by aepclinton, Nov 15, 2016.

1. aepclinton

aepclinton New commenter

I'm hoping some high school science/chemistry teachers may be able to offer me some advice.

I am a final year chemistry undergraduate and have applied for School Direct training for Sept '17. For personal reasons I have had to change my dissertation project to one which is non-lab based. I have agreed with my supervisor that I can write something which is related to both chemistry and education (11-16) as long as it has an element of research to satisfy the requirements of the module. My first thought is that I could look into the effectiveness of interactive games to help learners understand some of the more challenging concepts at GCSE (perhaps redox, electrolysis, equilibrium, etc.) - possibly designing board or card games which the learner can use before using a quiz to determine the effectiveness of the resource compared to a 'chalk and talk' format.

I wondered if any high school teachers on here had any feedback on my idea, or perhaps had any other suggestions for an area that I could do research into chemistry education, particularly anything which might be useful in terms of education research, or which might be beneficial to my teaching career.

TIA.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Any idea that you have need to take no more time to organise then the traditional methods. There isn't any spare time in the timetable to slow down on the covering of the content. Perhaps you could concentrate of ideas that students can follow in their own revision.