1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Underarm and groin lumps - doctor won't listen!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Coffeebean102, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,

For aaaaaages I have had a lump under my arm and one in my groin area. I had a blood test done which came back clear. However, the doctor said that because they aren't getting any bigger, that we just need to leave them be. Is it normal to have permanently swollen lymph nodes? I have not been ill recently and as my blood tests came back clear, I assume that I don't have any infections. They have been like this for months now, but my doctor doesn't seem to be interested in finding out the cause. They are totally painless so don't bother me, but I wish I knew what was causing this. The only 'symptom' I have of anything is feeling really tired (but to be honest, who doesn't feel tired in teaching?) and I have lost half a stone in the past year without trying, but I'm pretty sure that's due to teaching too!
    Has anyone else ever had this?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I often get a lump in those places and sometimes they last a few weeks and sometimes a few months (only small lumps though - size of 1p, no bigger) and they are just harmless cysts. I'm sure this is what your doctor thinks they are. HOWEVER if you are not happy or unsure you are more than entitled to a second opinion (even if it is just to put your mind at rest)

3. it can be normal to have glands that don't go down - after an infection for example, or sometimes just because. They key thing is the getting bigger - I had some raised glands and went to a private specialsit, who told me two things; that the lumps would have to be over an inch long before they worried really, and that often they are as large as a golf ball and do keep getting bigger. Hope this reassures you a bit.

4. Just another thought - do you wax in those areas or shave regularly? Because this could be causing them.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Go back. There are many harmelss reasons for swollen lymph nodes, but they are also a symptom of lymphoma, as is tiredness. This doesn't necessarily show up in a blood test and it's notoriously slow to be diagnosed.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

As Joli said, get a second opinion. If they're not growing, the first doc is probably right, but you need to put your mind at rest.
    (unexplained weight loss is another symptom of lymphoma)
    Lymphoma could be accompanied by a rise in white cell count - your counts are OK.
    Best wishes,
    P

7. Thanks everyone. The groin one has grown very slightly, but only slightly. It might not even have grown in size to be honest, it just feels slightly harder than it did but part of me wonders if I could just be imagining it. As far as I know my counts were fine, although that blood test was done way back in October. I do feel tired but I always feel that everyone in teaching feels tired, it's a tiring job. I might go back if the weight loss continues and the tiredness gets worse. Thanks everyone. x