1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Underactive thryoid?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pinkflipflop, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Am getting pretty fed up with 'myself' at the moment and wondering if I can ask the doctor to send me for a blood test for an underactive thryoid. I rarely go to my doctors and I don't want to come across as some sort of hypochondriac.
    For far too long now I have had symptoms of depression but always put it down to grieving. I have no energy, I can't concentrate on anything and can barely stay awake if I sit down for too long. I have aches all of the time but put that down to my recent injury (although was feeling like it before as well!) and no matter how well I eat I just am not losing weight.
    My hair is breaking off far too much for my liking and more recently I have started to really really feel the cold to the point where I am sat shaking in all my layers while my OH sits in a short and Tshirt because the house is so warm!

2. Am getting pretty fed up with 'myself' at the moment and wondering if I can ask the doctor to send me for a blood test for an underactive thryoid. I rarely go to my doctors and I don't want to come across as some sort of hypochondriac.
    For far too long now I have had symptoms of depression but always put it down to grieving. I have no energy, I can't concentrate on anything and can barely stay awake if I sit down for too long. I have aches all of the time but put that down to my recent injury (although was feeling like it before as well!) and no matter how well I eat I just am not losing weight.
    My hair is breaking off far too much for my liking and more recently I have started to really really feel the cold to the point where I am sat shaking in all my layers while my OH sits in a short and Tshirt because the house is so warm!

3. Why don't you go along to your GP and tell them about your symptoms and let them decide? That's their job. You could suggest that you have concerns about having an underactive thyroid and see what they say.....
    Good luck.

4. I'm just a little wary because as soon as I say I am tired all of the time, upset all of the time and always confused it gets blamed on my job or my berevement.

5. GO!!!! If it is an underactive thyroid, it needs treatment. It would seem mine's been failing for a while and I've ended up so poorly I've been off work for a month now. I was just diagnosed last week. Don't worry about the doctor thinking you're a hypochondriac - explain your symptoms and be sure to emphasise that you are concerned that this is something other than the job or bereavement. My symptoms were originally put down to my medication (Citalopram) but I continued to get worse even when reducing the dose considerably.

6. Sounds just like it. Being recently bereaved and having a stressful job don't mean you can't have an underactive thyroid. It's a cheap 20-second blood test, results back in a few days and is usually conclusive.
    Ask for it, and if your GP is dismissive, gently enquire if you could have the test done by another doctor. There are no grounds in hell for declining it when you have all the symptoms and they aren't clearing up by any other methods, and s/he will not be able to justify refusing it on the grounds of grief, work or hypochondria.

7. I didn't realise I had an underactive thyroid gland because I was being tested for anaemia, which I also have. I became so sluggish I put it down to the anaemia. Thing is PFF...the symptoms of an underactive thyroid won't be helping your depression to pack it's bags and leave because you'll be feeling sluggish and tired anyway. I felt like I was trudging through treacle and lost all the joy of life. After a month or so on Levothyroxine I felt so much better and more energetic.
    I still feel the cold though. Brrrr. Seems chilly today.

8. Honestly if you went to a high street analyst it wouldn't cost you twenty quid and you could wrap the results round a rolling pin and shove it up your doctor's ****. I can't tell you the raft of symptoms I had that were variously put down to stress, anaemia and recent bereavement (one of which turned out to be fibroids but hey-ho), all of which applied but none of which actually prevent your thyroid from packing in.
    As AE said, it was like turning a light on. In a few weeks I felt much much better. It may not be your problem but you need to know.

9. Thanks for your replies. The thing is, I know I am just being daft. My doctor is great really but I am a natural born worrier. I worry that if I go and tell him all of my symptoms and ask for a blood test he will just say no!
    I know I just have to suck it up and just book an appointment. I am fed up with all of this.

10. if I go and tell him all of my symptoms and ask for a blood test he will just say no!
    Just one word: INSIST.
    If it turns out you were worrying over nothing, then you were worrying over notiung and can forget all about it as you walk out of the door. Who are you, the doctor? If you weren't then you have something to work on that could make you feel better.

11. Oh go!
    I get an armful sucked out of me every year or so! They keep on checking for all sorts and no matter what the tests say I still feel the same - shockingly tired, vaguely depressed and miserable. I get every miserable little sniffle going but seem to dodge swine flu and the other famous ones with absolute immunity

I don't know whether to be happy that I don't seem to get very ill, or T'd off that I get lots of little sniffles!
    Go!!!

12. Pff - if you went to your GP and described those symptoms to him, I would expect him to run a few general blood screening tests, as a matter of course. Thyroid function would be one of those, I would expect him to run.
    Go and chat with him, any GP worth his salt will pick up on what you are telling him. Good Luck.

13. This was my main symptom as well as feeling insanely tired all the time. I also had dry patches of skin under my eyes that turned purple one day looking like I'd been punched!
    I was borderline for a few months thn the next test showed that it was definitely underactive. I stil feel the cold but nowhere near as badly as I did, I just make sure that I layer up.

14. "Borderline" is particularly irritating because it is calculated via a national average. About as accurate as all those stats that say the average teachers' salary is £45K.
    I was "borderline" and untreatec for ages before I threw a strop and demanded at least a trial of thryoxine. What might be just right for Ms National Average is too low for me, OK?????

15. Apparently GP's used to use their instincts better when diagnosing thyroid issues, but since the BMA issed advice to treatment should only be given to diagnosis which is validated by blood tests, this is sadly rare now. The problem with that is that T4 levels in blood so not show a clear indication of how much T4 has been absorbed through tissue. If the levels of tissue absorbtion is low it is usually due to hypothyroidism. This is why many people go undiagnosed for years.
    Since I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago I have read everything I can about the subject and am convinced that I've been hypotyroid for at least 3 years. I put many of the symptoms down to panic disorder and the subsequent medication, but it is quite likely that hypotyhroidism contributed to this, possibly even triggered it.
    Looking back this is when the weight gain started together with low concentration. A virus in September 2009 knocked me for six and I've never felt right since. After repeatedly telling the GP that my immune system didn't seem to be functioning well and complaining of increasing fatigue, I had my first thyroid blood test taken a year ago - it came back normal. Whether it was borderline then, I have no idea. I was simply told that the test were all normal and to work my way through it.
    Since then I've been in slow decline and my current GP ordered all of the tests again. The good news is that after only 2 weeks on thyroxine, I am starting to feel better. I can't remember what normal feels like anymore and don't think I'm even close yet. However, after becoming so ill I was bedridden for 2 weeks, the improvement is more than welcome.
    There are so many problems associated with hypothyroidism that it is vital to have it checked out. If your results come back OK, ask the doctor what that means i.e. borderline / low normal. If they're in this range, ask for a trial on levothyroxine. If the GP is unwilling, then look up as much as you can regarding diet and supplements which might slow down the effects. It's your health, your well being - take control. Also be aware that most doctors only spend around half a day, in training, studying the whole endocrine system (thyroid, pituatory, adrenal system) which might explain the low diagnosis rates.

16. The transformation once you start treatment is swift and amazing, if hypothyroidism is what's actually wrong with you. I accidentally overdosed a few years ago for several months (confused the 25mcg and 100mcg tablets hahaha heart attack anyone?) and it didn't make the slightest difference to the way I felt. I didn't suddenly lose a load of weight or acquire a load of energy. I think if you don't need it, you won't feel the benefit, but if you do, it should be obvious fairly quickly.

17. I've decided to keep a little mini journal of how I am feeling each day and what I have been doing in the hope it might aid me in my appointment (when I eventually get one).
    The confusion is the thing that is really frustrating me at the moment. I am forgetting to do the most basic of things at work and just can't think straight at all.

18. If it's any consellation, my memory and concentration has taken a long vacation for the last year. I totally understand your frustration. I can't tell you how relieved I am to finally have a diagnosis other than dementia! I went back to work today after being off sick for month, and although my body's aching I feel OK. My brain kept playing hide and seek on me throughout the day but I felt more comfortable telling my HOD about it now that I can explain it. One of my colleagues was telling me that it took 7 years and a change of doctors to finally get diagnosed and totally understands to whole mind fog.
    Good luck getting the appointment and some answers - you are not on your own with this, even though at times you might think you're losing the plot. Hoping for a good outcome for you
    Hoodie
    x

19. It is really worrying to feel like I am losing the plot at 26!

20. Oh been there too PFF. I was at the wheel once and I just plain forgot how to drive when I came to a roundabout. That was WEIRD and frightening but my brain went to mush.
    Dr AE suspects you might have pernicious anaemia....or a whole host of disorders giving the symptoms you are displaying.
    Your Doctor won't be able to make a diagnosis without a blood test I suspect, so do make an appointment. Things will only get worse...not magically go away x x