1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Under the Sea Year 1 role play area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carlijones, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I am starting a lovely new "Under the Sea" topic after Christmas with my year 1 class. I need a role play area - it has to be something that I can send groups to in lit and num with a good purpose as head doesn't want year 1's to be child initiated. I was thinking of an aquarium with tickets to sell and signs to make for the fish tanks??? Any other ideas most appreciated! Thanks

2. I am starting a lovely new "Under the Sea" topic after Christmas with my year 1 class. I need a role play area - it has to be something that I can send groups to in lit and num with a good purpose as head doesn't want year 1's to be child initiated. I was thinking of an aquarium with tickets to sell and signs to make for the fish tanks??? Any other ideas most appreciated! Thanks

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

These ideas are from a role play leaflet I have at home - might be some ideas you could use!
    U N D E R T H E S E A Resources
    * Shells, seaweed, pebbles - for looking at underwater.
    * Nets, floats, cork.
    * Snorkel, flippers - divers equipment if possible.
    * Measures for capacity.
    * Weighing scales.
    * Magnifying glasses
    * Objects that float sink - tank.
    * Fish tank and fish.
    * Posters of fish.
    * Books, film, tape of underwater noises.
    * Boxes - for submarine, shipwrecks and treasure chest.
    * Art equipment.
    * Stories - Little Mermaid, Titanic.
    * Bubble mixture.
    * Salt, iceSharing and cooperating. Water Safety.

</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:118.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Home & School</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:13cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Holidays.</td></tr><tr style="height:20.5pt;"><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:118.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;height:20.5pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Extension Activities</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#f0f0f0;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:13cm;padding-right:5.4pt;height:20.5pt;border-top:#f0f0f0;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Visit to Sea World. Visit to seaside. Aquarium in the class room</td></tr></table>

4. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

How about you turn it into a 'non fiction zone' with a variety of non fiction books and real photographs of sea creatures. Children to explore the sea creatures; appearance, movement, what they eat etc. Children could write a 'report' or factfile based on the animal, adding in captions for images drawn and then every time a factfile is completed they add it to a whole class 'Under the Sea' book so its becomes an on going class project. You could then encourage independent research and further learning at home.