1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Under the Sea...help :)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nats30, Dec 29, 2010.

1. We are on a similar theme this term, my class are obsessed with animals so we are now looking at sea creatures. However i am going to start with the big question 'why is there a commotion in the ocean?' and go with the children's ideas of what might be happening in the ocean. I will introduce them to a bit of sea pollution and endangered creatures we have a unit of F1 and F2s. There is a good book called Dear Mermaid which is about a girl writing to a mermaid which has letters in, so hoping this will inspire some letter writing and also the Octanauts of Cbeebies all the kids are in to so hoping ot use that for a bit ofg inspiration. So my KUW hopefully will be about habitats, environmental issues also thought of some great music ideas, we sea sounds and making drums. Good luck i am quite excited about it!

2. how about getting some whole fish from the fish counter for the children to handle/describe/examine in detail? you could talk about fish before and get an idea of the sort of questions the children may want to find out by looking, eg do fish have teeth/tongues/eyebrows??
    also a good resource for observational drawings
    The other teachers in our early years love the rainbow fish stories - I'm not much of a fan
    Under the sea role play with shells/treasure chest/snorkles/sea creatures and hanging celophane seaweed is a favourite of my previous class.

3. That's a really great idea, thank you! Just about to start Under the sea theme and I think the children would enjoy/find it interesting to examine and handle fish.

Many thanks

4. Good idea,thank you!

5. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

6. Hi, I work in a foundation class and I am responsible for planning outside area activities for foundation class. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some ideas for sand and water activities for outside.

Susan x

7. How about using books like "The Rainbow Fish" to inspire you? Under the Sea is a huge and magical theme, so much to discover. Ask the children what they know about the theme, and then what they want too find out .. (KWL) that will give you the best learning opportunity.