1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Under sink hotwater heater

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 3, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Have any of you good folks used one of these?
    At present, I have an immersion heater for hot water to sinks and bath(which is never used except to stand in when having a shower.)
    I am considering replacing the immersion and putting in heaters suitable for the basin and sink only. Either one feeding the upstairs and downstairs basins, or maybe 2 separate ones. Obviously, the one most likely to be used will be the downstairs kitchen sink.
    Any opinions please?
    Thanks x
    Ps, the shower upstairs is an electric one.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've considered having one of these when we get around to re-doing the kitchen, as most kitchen equipment is cold-fill these days and it's a waste to have a large tank heating huge amounts of water which rarely get fully used.
    From a quick search they are quite expensive and some people have had problems with them, so may wait a while until they've perfected the technology.
    If you have the wall space I do have experience of those over-the-sink ones, which have been very efficient and the calor gas powered one we had in our first home to heat the water for the shower was one of the most efficient one we've ever had, Although the modern electric shower units do seem to hold the pressure to keep an even temperature.

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

They are only really suitable for occasional use and can get very expensive to run.

There are two types:
    1. Has a small reservoir of hot water which is heated and kept to temp. OK for small amounts of hot water.
    2. Works like an electric shower with no reservoir and produces all hot water on demand. Produces unlimited hot water.

You will need to consult with a trades to see what might be suitable.

oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

We bought one. Should have read the product description more carefully. It heats the water to 45 degrees Celsius, which is nowhere near hot enough to wash dishes. There might be better ones out there, however.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.