1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Under constant scrutiny - learning walks

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by anon1369, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I was wondering how often learning walks take place in other schools? This is the only school I've worked in for a long time and they take place every half term during which you are seen at least twice. I don't mind them checking we are providing a good education but they are very specific in what they are looking for. Some of my classes are purely catching up on various bits of coursework which are incomplete yet I am expected to deliver taught lessons throughout the duration of the learning walks just incase they walk in as otherwise I would be told off. Just having a moan and wondering if all schools are like this?

2. My Head has started doing these, but we have been given no information as to their purpose or frequency. They are adding lots of pressure onto staff and to be honest I get the impression the Head doesn't really know the purpose herself. She comes into the lesson, asks to see lesson plans and assessment information, stays for five minutes, asks a bizarre question and then leaves. SMT feed back any issues following them.
    I do object to them to be honest. I have no problem with ANY other teacher, including the Head, popping into my lesson at any point without warning just to get a feel for what's going on. But I would take exception if any comment was made on my performance either formally or informally following a learning walk. I believe that issues should be tackled in the proper way through effective performance management.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think they happen most days in my school. Most TLRs are expected to give up a free period to support them. They say they're for support, but there's other data gathering going on as well.
    I suspect that there's more to it than meets the eye.
    P