1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uncomfortable about job move

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ninek, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ninek

ninek New commenter

Have been asked to move into teaching early years. I am mostly experienced (and happiest) in teaching year 2 upwards, however, I have taught Reception here and there but never as the official class teacher, so I have not taken full responsibility for all the planning and resourcing. To be honest as I am quite academic myself I have found early years a bit boring/unstimulating but I think this may not be the case if I was actually taking full responsibility for their learning. Also, I do like working with young children. Plus, I feel that working to Reception might look good on my CV. This job would also involve leadership progression (phase leader), which is something that interests me (in theory). But my concern is that moving into a class that feels so out of my comfort zone, coupled with the new leadership stuff would equal a lot of stress. If I took on the role I would be back at a school that I like, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the wrong role. Alternatively, I can stay at the school I am currently working at (it's far from perfect) but I would have very little stress and a very good work-life balance. What would you do?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sorry I'm a bit lost here as you talk about changing schools further on.
    Does this mean you're in the stage between job offer and acceptance? Far too short a timescale to get any useful advice. And you probably answered your question in the application and interview process or else why bother going through the extra time it entails.

Or are you shifting schools within a MAT? Even then you can't expect an answer here as it really depends on politics. Will the SLT who asked you take umbrage at the 'wrong answer' being given? You need to assess your future line manager (or is this a way for your current line manager to shift you out?).

So I've expended a lot of words to say "I dunno" but I suspect nobody can answer this who walks outside of your shoes.

All the best whatever you decide.

3. ninek

ninek New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am in the 'job offer' stage. I am looking for views/experiences of taking a job that is not a good fit personally and involves a big learning curve but is in a very good school and offers career progression, versus taking a much easier job in a school that is not 'amazing' but will allow me the time and freedom to do my own thing.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do whatever gives you little stress and a good work-life balance!

Having said that I am very happily moving to early years this summer for the first time, so can't really help you.

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Your thread title (and subsequent comments) suggest you have already made your mind up - a good work-life balance is a precious commodity these days.

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Leadership in an age-group you feel less familiar with will be more challenging, and I often wonder if you can go back and find the same school you knew before - one new member of staff can really change the ethos of a place (unfortunately...).

Speaking as someone who has made a whole career out of staying, I’d say stay. Leadership may come up here for you, in an age you prefer or feel more confident, if that is what you want. But do not underestimate the importance of work-life balance, or how precious a workplace offering a reasonable life outside school is these days. No one ever says on their deathbed, “I wish I’d worked more...” Use the time to live life to the full while you are fit and well - we none of us know what lies ahead for us.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Based on what you have written above, I would try it for a year. That will give you the experience for your CV and the knowledge of whether teaching the littlest ones is something you enjoy or not. If you don't enjoy it, you can ask to move up to a different year group or seek a new job. But I think it's worth trying, just to see if it is a role you'd enjoy. Knowing the school is good is another point in favour of giving it a try. Just my opinion, but you did ask what I'd do, so there you go!