1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unclassified KS4 Pupils

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by malo314, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student and I've been given a group of 3 KS4 pupils who are currently predicted a U.
    I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some appropriate resources for these pupils, and perhaps offer some advice on getting the dynamics right. I have one VERY quiet girl who is happy to work, but get's teased, an easily distracted boy who I can get going, but has little motivation to keep at it, and a disruptive girl who doesn't get along with easily distracted boy, and with whom I have a real battle to get her to even put pen to paper.
    They all struggle with even basic operations, and at least one of them can only add in ones on their fingers.
    Would appreciate any help really. Thanks

2. Hi,
    I'm a PGCE student and I've been given a group of 3 KS4 pupils who are currently predicted a U.
    I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some appropriate resources for these pupils, and perhaps offer some advice on getting the dynamics right. I have one VERY quiet girl who is happy to work, but get's teased, an easily distracted boy who I can get going, but has little motivation to keep at it, and a disruptive girl who doesn't get along with easily distracted boy, and with whom I have a real battle to get her to even put pen to paper.
    They all struggle with even basic operations, and at least one of them can only add in ones on their fingers.
    Would appreciate any help really. Thanks

3. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

What an interesting 'group' !
    Some pupils for whom GCSE is not appropriate take an "Entry Level" exam. A recent TES thread includes some suggestions for materials that are helpful for teaching this qualification; they may be useful for you with your pupils too.
    Good luck!

4. They should be doing the entry level qualification. Make sure you get that sorted out first and see what resources come with it then try and build out from there.

5. ooops -didn't see Nazard's post

6. 2 Questions
    Do they like maths?
    Do they like you?

7. It strikes me that these are not an appropriate group for a PGCE student.

8. I think I'd agree with Brookes there.
    Some good experience I'm sure, but what has the normal class teacher asked you to do?

9. DM

DM New commenter

Some universities like their PGCE students to have experience of small group work and I suppose this fits that bill. A cynic might say these children are being palmed off on him but I suppose he will learn a lot about really weak students in a short time and he is unlikely to do them any harm.

10. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

If they are going to riot then I agree. If they are docile then shouldn't be as much of an issue.
    I don't think that a trainee teacher should be making the decision about whether the pupils should take GCSE or Entry Level, though - that must rest with the HOD or class teacher.
    Also - I don't know what Entry Level involves nowadays, but if there is a portfolio element then will there be enough time to collect all that is required?

11. DM

DM New commenter

Entry Level Functional Mathematics is always a possibility.