1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uncertainty in 1/x

Discussion in 'Science' started by Newstein, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

If x = (10.0 +- 0.1) cm, 1/x = (0.10 +- ?)

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

As a scientist, I'd look at it like this:

1/10.1 = 0.099 and 1/9.9 = 0.101
    Both of these are 0.001 away from your value for 1/10 so that's what I'd give for the uncertainty.

Another way of looking at it in science wouold be to say the original uncertainty as a % is 0.1/10 which is 1%, so we'd expect an uncertainty of 1% on the answer as well, which is what 0.001 out of 0.1 would give.

This might not be mathematically rigourous, i don't know, but it's what we'd do in a lab. I think.

rehaank, CheeseMongler, BG54 and 3 others like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Sparkleghirl's analysis seems perfect to me.

Newstein likes this.
  4. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Yes - also if we use fractions as exact values, then the mid-point for the range of 1/x would strictly be 1000/9999 or 0.100010001.... rather than 0.1, but that's probably nit-picking. :)

5. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

I just did exactly this on a post it note - inverse propagation of uncertainty i think

6. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Take a micrometer reading like x = (0.10 +- 0.01) cm. The uncertainty in 1/x then is
    (1/2) (1/0.09 minus 1/0.11 ) = 1.02 cm^-1
    Well, I have to accept this as well.

7. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

It transpires that x and 1/x have the same % uncertainty.