1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

uncertain

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by abc2345, Jan 4, 2016.

1. abc2345

abc2345 New commenter

Started a new job in a new area and already feel out of my depth and want to quit.
    I really dont want to go in tomorrow. dont know what to do.
    Didnt feel like this in september at my previous school.
    any advice

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

3. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Remember that kids need time to get used to a new teacher and, particularly in Primary, will get rapidly better as they learn how you work. You will also learn a lot and progress as a teacher, so things will probably get better with time. However, if you know that the school is not for you regardless, then the above thread might be worth a read. Is there anything in particular which has made you feel this way?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you feel so bad after just one day. It happens sometimes. The thing at the moment is just to take one day at a time. By that I mean, only think about getting through the day tomorrow, don't look ahead. And if tomorrow evening you can see that you have survived another day, that's a success.

What would be a bad step to take would be to give in now to your unhappiness, and decide to stay home. That will never be the way out of this situation. So just get ready for tomorrow, then go to bed with a nice book and a bar of chocolate. never mind about cleaning your teeth afterwards!

Yes, do read that thread with caution, there are people advising you to do a lot of daft things, people who are not experienced in school management and leadership.

Best wishes

ilovepoppies likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I started a totally new job in a totally new area in October. I remember feeling the same way after a day. And in fact every now and then for several weeks. Totally clueless some days and it's so embarrassing when you are a very experienced teacher...but it is normal!

Of course it isn't the same as your last school where you knew everyone and where things were. But you will gradually find friends, work out the times of lessons, get to know the place and it gets easier.

Keep going for a while yet!

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My second day at my last school, I was in tears and hated it. It did get better and I am now glad that I made it through the year but it was hard (it was a one-year fixed term contract). Take it one day at a time. I really like my new school ('permanent') so am glad that I stuck with it.

ps. In my new school, I was assigned a 'buddy' e.g. someone to just help answer questions or be a support (not like an NQT mentor), she came to collect me for lunch my first day and we're still friends (we're also both crazy cat ladies, so have that in common as well) - could you approach another teacher at break maybe? [EDIT: not to say you're worried, etc., but rather to see a friendly face?]

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

One day in, everything's crazy, you don't know where anything is, the procedures are just sufficiently different to unsettle you...
    Try to chill.
    Try and find someone who'll tell you the important stuff (like where the toilet is), make friends by asking for help, and don't worry if something goes a bit wrong. It's not your fault for a while.
    Best wishes
    P

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Way back in a previous life, I moved from a relatively easy school with some high ability pupils to a school in a challenging area with lots of low ability children. I felt completely overwhelmed at first - had used all my behaviour strategies by lunchtime the first day (none worked!), the work I planned for one day lasted a whole week, etc, etc. I remember phoning friends that first night asking 'What I have I done? I can't cope here.' It took me two whole terms to feel settled and in control. After that, the school grew on me, the children accepted me, and even now, many years hence, it's the school I look back on with most fondness. And many of my ex-colleagues are still personal friends. Stick with it!!

IceCreamVanMan and Dragonlady30 like this.