1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by aw27, Apr 8, 2012.

1. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw, who was quoted as saying earlier this year that "If anyone says to you that 'Staff morale is at an all-time low', you know you are doing something right."

http://m.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/apr/07/teachers-bullying-workplace-nasuwt-union?cat=education&type=article

Oh my god.

2. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw, who was quoted as saying earlier this year that "If anyone says to you that 'Staff morale is at an all-time low', you know you are doing something right."

http://m.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/apr/07/teachers-bullying-workplace-nasuwt-union?cat=education&type=article

Oh my god.

3. Well staff morale is at an all time low iny school and let me tell you this it achieves NOTHING. If we did this to the kids we would be disciplined at the very least and sacked at the worst . Stupid man and stupid leadership teams who go along with it and end up making their staff miserable with their relentless negativity and criticism.

4. Was he toadying up to his political paymasters?
    He should have been forced to resign on the spot for speaking such **** and for bringing his post into disrepute. Don't they vet these guys?
    What is amazing is that it shows his total lack of self awareness and ignorance of good management practice. Lions led by donkeys.....

5. This explains what's going on at my place then I'm afraid. Sad times...

6. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

What a twit!

7. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Wilsahw is director of arkschool. He is also a close friend of Michael Gove. It is in this governments interest to fail schools so they become academies. Some not all SLT are sucked by this and there think that low staff morale is sign of how well things are.
    http://www.arkschools.org/
    Conflict of interest. Wilshaw has been chosen by this government to make sure schools are failed, his OFSTED team will make sure. The schools then become forced academies the rest is upto you to envisage. Why are younger people chosen to become SLT? Easily malleable.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

He claims he was quoted out of context. No he wasn't. If we treated the pupils the way we are treated, there would be hell to pay.
    A colleague of mine once put this very well, "Because the older you are, the more developed your critical faculties are.", which is a very polite way saying that those of us with a few years on the clock know it's all a load of old BS.

9. Unfortunately these donkeys have the power to destroy the careers of the lions...

10. I think he's quite accurately reflecting what most head's management styles are actually like. I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to admit that's actually what they're doing though, if you're going down this stick and no carrot route, you sure as hell don't say that's what you're doing. Most heads would spin it and say they are supporting teachers and give some rubbish examples that tick a box.