1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable: another set of SLT cheats caught

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jonntyboy, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

1. Birmingham has today been reported as withdrawing from conditional unconditional offers ("You can have an unconditional from us if you withdraw from all other applications."

2. Fewer mark changes might just be because of more accurate marking (or because one awarding body has made marked scripts available online, so schools can tell if they are flogging a dead horse).

3. Agreed - although before the current 9-1 system there was a view that IGCSE was harder. Problem is actually measuring the difference as I imagine vanishingly few candidates sit both exams.

2. install

install Star commenter

Thanks for this info.

1 Unconditional offers have nevertheless shot up since students have had to pay for their degrees. And unconditional offers are still far higher than prior to student fees.

Money talks and so does numbers on degree courses in advance.

2 But that wouldn't explain the still huge gaps in marking scores where changes are made. And If it were more accurate t such a disparity wouldn't exist. Remember Exam Boards earn more money for no mark changes.

3 The evidence in state schools that did igcses is that the igcse exams are easier. Many state schs saw their results shoot up. Indeed the genie came out of the bottle on that one and the notion of igcses ever being harder soon died.

It seems Gove couldn't risk state sch kids doing better than fee paying kids. Some state school parents might be wise to let their children sit the igcse privately.

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

Criticism is fine, but the blanket, knee-jerk, generalised opprobrium heaped en masse on certain groups with no specific evidence to back it up is very lazy thinking and completely fails either to increase understanding or to advance the discussion.
    I suppose it is fair to say that those exhibiting such traits on here may well not exhibit them at their workplace, and I accept your point, but nonetheless it makes one wonder.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

All true...I see the fallout every week with the kids I tutor. You know, I have learned more about the richness of teaching but also the paucity of national provision since I did one to one than I learned in twenty years in post. We need to reduce inequality. Education should be altruistic, not all about the money money money.

install likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I had 34 years of teaching experience, beginning in 1980. Back in the day, cheating was never an issue, because in those days it was the pupils who were responsible for their grades. Schools were never blamed. So there was no 'incentive' to cheat.

Even when SATs were introduced into primary schools, there was no 'need' to cheat, there was no endless revision for poor Y6 pupils, because there were no high stakes attached to them.

That all changed when schools were ranked, when Ofsted started to judge a school's quality on its exam results, and when teachers & SLT were 'held accountable' (i.e. blamed) for their pupils' results, with the possibility of losing their jobs in consequence.

That is why many schools now game the system and cheat. And, like so many things in education, the genie is out of the bottle. :mad::(:mad::(

eljefeb90, install, tonymars and 3 others like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

They have obviously been copying the conduct of our Tory leaders, because cheating, inappropriate, wrong, illegal, crooked and dishonest etc are all adjectives that accurately describe the conduct of Great Britain's Conservative Prime Minister, Boris Johnson and MOST of his Cabinet too.
    ( I just copied this from another post that I made a few moments ago. Different topic, but the reoccurring theme of disregard for the law and improper behaviour.

7. Lelly64

Lelly64 New commenter

This is spot on

tonymars likes this.
  8. Cyberman

Cyberman New commenter

It is interesting reading through the comments on this thread.

The problem with many of the so called "cheating" qualifications is not actually with the qualification but with the GCSE equivalence it has been awarded in KS4 in performance tables.

My own experience is with the European Computer Drivers License (ECDL).

Around 1998 due to curriculum and time limitations my school was struggling to give all KS4 learners, especially the bright students who took foreign languages, any opportunities in ICT. To overcome this we offered year 10 learners an extra curricular activity taking the ECDL. It was taken by students and quite often by their parents as well as by staff members.It was a very popular course / qualification at the time recognised and respected by many employers that could be passed in a year with around an ad hoc one hour per week.

The qualification was aptly named as a "drivers license", it is a minimum standard to be met to be able to say that someone has a basic understanding of how to use a computer and office software. It was a pass / fail qualification. In that respect it is just like a vehicle driving test. When you pass the vehicle driving test it you have met a minimum standard to drive on the roads.

The ECDL was / is a good qualification, fit for the purpose for which it was intended.

The problems arose when the DfE / EU and others started listing qualifications from cake decoration to engineering as level 1 or level 2 GCSE equivalents on a qualifications framework. Many of these qualifications were added to the DfE section 96 list of approved (funded) qualifications in 14-19 education and counted in performance figures.

Originally a pass in the ECDL was given the equivalence of a full level 2 grade B GCSE,

This is were the problems arose, in my opinion the ECDL was at best equivalent of only a half GCSE at around grade E/F.

We continued offering the qualification for a few more years and it did inflate our performance figures a little. We never had mass whole school entry in the qualification as, quite frankly, we did not need to as our performance table figures were good and mass entry in the ECDL would not have improved them. Being honest I do not know what we would have done regarding mass entry in the ECDL if we were in the position were we needed to boost our KS4 performance figures.

The ECDL, because of its over graded GCSE equivalence later became a qualification that was (ab)used by some schools to game the performance table measures until it was removed with a poor reputation in 2018.

The point I am making is that a perfectly good, fit for purpose course / qualification has been ruined by not only by performance table gaming but also by the GCSE equivalence it was awarded that made the gaming possible. I wonder how this grade B GCSE equivalence was arrived at and who made the decision?

install, Lelly64 and FrankWolley like this.
  9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I wonder how many entries there are for ECDL in 2020?

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My goodness Jonnty, where have you been? It is the Tories who introduced Name, Blame and Shame to hoist their flag on the pile of dead schools and dead teachers. It was the Tories who replaced the capable hands of HMI who were a very effective quality control, for the sound bites and nervous breakdowns offered by that charlatan and hypocrite Woodhead ( have a look at his Wikipedia entry ). It was the Tories who introduced irrelevant SATs. It was the Tories who introduced the Parent's Charter which made the parents customers and us there simply to do as they bid us. It was the Tories who constantly used Education as a whipping boy, most recently under Gove, but going right back to Baker and Thatcher, all of whom incidentally climbed the greasy pole up the rancid ranks of the Tory party after showing how tough they were and winning their spurs upon the backs of us teachers. It is the Tories who starved schools of funding. It was the Tories ----

It is not clever, not helpful to be an apologist for the last 40 years of Tory devastation of our education system. Put the blame where the blame is due.

tonymars and harsh-but-fair like this.
  11. Cyberman

Cyberman New commenter

The ECDL in England actually split into several IT qualifications with different "flavours"

The two most popular iterations were the BCS Level 2 ECDL Certificate in IT Application Skills and BCS Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (ECDL Extra) (ITQ). The entries for these were as follows

BCS Level 2 ECDL Certificate in IT Application Skills

This was the graded version Distinction* (A*), Distinction (A), Merit (B), Pass (C)

This version was developed when the DfE decided that pass / fail qualifications would not count in performance measures.

Year - Entries
    2012 - 0 (Did not yet exist?)
    2013 - 0 (Did not yet exist?)
    2014 - 7,140
    2015 - 58,875
    2016 - 135,720
    2017 - 127,410
    2018 - 5,175
    2019 - 0 (half year)

BCS Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (ECDL Extra) (ITQ)

This I think is / was the original pass / fail (B/U) version.

Year - Entries
    2012 - 37,845
    2013 - 34,425
    2014 - 20,180
    2015 - 8,650
    2016 - 6,240
    2017 - 4,375
    2018 - 3,345
    2019 - 2,550 (half year)

Source - OFQUAL 2019-08-27- regulated vocational qualifications dataset Jan 2012 to present England

install likes this.
  12. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

So the BCS did quite well from ECDL for a while then almost nothing. Ah the power of those league tables.

13. harpplayer

harpplayer Occasional commenter

I started off teaching ECDL. I always thought it was a really good qualification, built on modules, easily assessed in class, everyone could see progress, you could pick modules to the strengths of the teacher and students and most students actually enjoyed it, because they could keep working at it until they 'got it'. Pupils actually learnt stuff with this qualification.

It went downhill when someone decided it was worth the same as a GCSE. It wasn't, but quickly became a gaming chip to raise the achievement of a school. They should bring it back, get rid of the Computer Science qualification but have a module in Computer Science, then keep it in exactly the same format but just make each module a lot tougher, and finally change the name from ECDL to GCSE Computer Science.

Everyone wins.

14. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

The genie is out of the bottle.

15. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

So this is a clever form of cheating to push up pass rates?

16. catherinedavid

17. catherinedavid

What a dreadful photo showing Indians climbing the walls to pass notes to others taking exams! Then those who 'pass' come here to work, possibly?! Well all those indulging in this way, please don't enter the UK!! Britain has enough problems in the teaching profession without cheaters!

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

EDL, all of them. When you marketise schools and bring business practice into schools this is what happens.

When you cut youth services and police knife crime increases.

When you privatise the NHS and they charge you more for a poorer service.

You can’t keep seeing public services as businesses with profits and losses.

catherinedavid and eljefeb90 like this.
  19. catherinedavid

Good heavens! State pupils cannot do an easier exam than a private pupil?! That is discrimination, undoubtedly, so who is doing something to counteract the problem? I never knew this so I will use it in my CPD.

install likes this.
  20. catherinedavid

Pleeeeeaaaase don't tell me you are a teacher!!!! Boris has been absolute dynamite trying his level best to enact the democratic vote that hailed a leave result. We are hampered by Mental Merkel and her entourage at the last hurdle!! We are leaving with no deal on 31st October: 3 years late!!