1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable: another set of SLT cheats caught

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Jonntyboy, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

The report, dated June 2019, states: (my bold print)

"Last year, however, virtually all pupils in Year 11 were entered for an English language qualification marketed clearly as a qualification for pupils or adults who speak English as an additional language.
    This was despite the fact 95 per cent of the cohort spoke English as their first language.
    Year 12 students who took the qualification last year said they did not know why they were entered and received little teaching in preparation. Current leaders acknowledge that the mass-entry to this qualification, initiated by leaders who have left since the academy, was inappropriate. Governors have ensured that this practice has stopped."

Absolutely appalling: I wonder if they have picked up other jobs and are now cheating at other schools?. At least I can be sure that our own HT wouldn't hire them.

"Inappropriate"? I'll say! How often nowadays do we see that woolly word used instead of "wrong", "cheating", "illegal", "crooked" or "dishonest".

chelsea2 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Summerhols6 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm not sure why you think this is unbelievable, this kind of thing has been going on since the introduction of league tables. Remember the GNVQ in ICT which was meant to be equivalent to four GCSEs.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Jonntyboy

a1976 likes this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Says the man with the political avatar ...

No argument about this being connected to the Academy system, I notice.

6. Jonntyboy

Probably because in truth I don't know that much about it all, gainly. I only came into teaching in 2006, so I don't have decades of experience.
    I know that some teachers cheated with MFL exams, and I assume that there were possibilities for dishonesty in other subjects too - wherever there is money to be made, or prestige to be gained, or whatever, somebody will always find a way to game the system to their advantage.
    I suppose I was surprised in this report that the cheating and fraud was so blatant and obvious. Did they really, one wonders, think they would get away with it?
    It's also possible, thinking about it, that the ones who "left" - not sure in what way - were the fall guys for higher management, who seem to have professed no knowledge" of what was happening. Hmm. When I was in industry, latterly at the top end, I hope that I would not have been unaware of what my staff were doing if they were breaking the rules to that sort of extent, (though of course in a big company you can't supervise every tiny aspect daily, and indeed, with the right staff, you shouldn't have to.)
    I don't suppose we will ever get the full story.
    But to me it was a bit shocking.

Catgirl1964 and a1976 like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Not so long ago I witnessed whole year groups being taken off lessons for 2 days so that they could all gain the ECDL qualification. Common practice in those days. Students were pretty much given the answers before the tests. Shocking? Yes, but it was the acceptance of the practice that shocked me most.

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

9. Mrsmumbles

Yes!

10. Mrsmumbles

Schools seem less concerned about education in its fullest sense and creating a caring community of mutual respect and belonging and more bothered by doing anything they can to boost narrowly-measured results and slap on any glitzy bit of extra ‘value’ they can think of, to gain an increasingly meaningless OFTED grading. This is often done at the expense of experienced qualified teachers. The SLT want to continue stealing from TPS at a shockingly high contribution rate, justifying their jobs by ‘getting results’ with tosh like the ECDL (don’t worry kids, you all failed Maths and English but you all know your way around a laptop, so we remain a College Of Outstanding Progress) And overworked and over managed teachers who cannot afford capability and sacking will continue to comply and cheat. The entire system is rotten and defies the original concepts and ideologies if what education should be all about. And it is becoming more and more polarised. None of it, sadly, positive. When you hear the phrase ‘academy school’, itself an oxymoron, the associations which usually spring to mind are modern and structurally unsound buildings, systems and bosses, capability, bullying, cheating and micromanagement.

11. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

A few years ago I worked in a high performing Academy chain school. Just before the main exam season all year 11 and year 10 pupils were entered for ECDL, whether they did ICT which was the Edexcel GCSE or not. It took less then three weeks to churn them through the system. One classroom had 30 students working through the word and PPT sections, before going next door to do the exam, the following day the rest of it was taken in the same way. Two full cohorts in no time at all, no problem. Thank the heavens it was stopped, only problem is now there is a decent IT course left.

12. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

If you want to see cheating on a really industrial scale in International public exams, come to sunny Dubai. I was in a couple of the exams hall for OCR and AQA exams before the Summer. The whispering was really deafening in all of them and the paper-passing blatant, and there wasn't a single thing that anyone could do about it, apart from the odd 'shush' by an (Indian) invigilator - without being racist, they are nearly always Indian because they have no authority and can be easily bullied over here.

The only way it will stop is if there are more spot inspections by inspectors from outside the country. There needs to be at least one spot inspection of an international exam for every three sat. It won't happen because of the expense, but frankly, I would not trust or believe any result for an iGCSE or A Level from any student from Dubai or area.

Blessed are the Exam Authorities and long may they rule and do little about international cheating. As for the O/P, the ECDL was always a gaming tool. It was kicked out of league tables last year - it only took about 10 years for someone to do that!!

13. Jonntyboy

No argument about any connection all. Because I don't take up knee-jerk positions where there is no evidence for them.

You don't like the academy system, ergo you blame it whenever you can, without adducing any evidence, as long as it fits into your political agenda.

I have worked in three academies over the past 7 years. One was appalling, one was more or less OK though not in my view very efficient and the most recent was absolutely excellent. I'm not sure how many there are in the UK, but that is not an adequate sample on which to base a general view. All that it reasonably allows me to say is that, in my small experience of them, some academies are not good and some (or at least one) are/is excellent.

Therefore, to state that the fraud I complained about in my original post is "connected" to the fact that it occurred in an academy chain would have been illogical. It may have a bearing, or it may not. I am certainly aware of fraud and dishonesty occurring in non-academies, so from that one can logically and reasonably state that such things occur in both kinds of establishment, and furthermore that there must therefore be dishonest people working in both.

But don't let logic prevent you from enjoying your prejudices, if it makes you happy.

14. Jonntyboy

I don't recall either the GNVQ in ICT or the ECDL, to be honest. Which is probably why I was probably a bit more shocked than some of you with more experience. I don't know if they have been part of the schools in which I have taught over the past dozen years. I suppose I tend to gravitate towards info and reports about my own subjects.
    Thanks for the replies though - food for thought - appalling story about Dubai. We must all keep our eyes and ears open!

15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

They have obviously been copying the conduct of our Tory leaders, because cheating, inappropriate, wrong, illegal, crooked and dishonest are all adjectives that accurately describe the conduct of Great Britain's Conservative Prime Minister, Boris Johnson and MOST of his Cabinet too.

16. Jonntyboy

Oh dear. <yawn> Please tell me you don't teach British kids.

17. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Why is that a concern?
    Are you offended by criticism of some politicians, or do you think others are so unprofessional that what they write here is parrotted in their work?

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

This is how it's done in India as people climb the building to pass notes to those taking the exam inside.[​IMG]India as people climb the building to pass notes to those taking the exam inside.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Sort of foreshadows all of us down at Lidl’s next month, passing our shopping lists up to those brave enough to bypass Supermarket Security and climb up the wall...

gainly likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

No shocks here. Lots of games happening in education and at the top too. Its all about the money. For example,

1 Unconditional offers have shot up on degree courses since they get payment from students

2 Exam Boards are making lots of money out of remark requests. There seems to be less mark changes too meaning they rake in more.

3 An unfair exam entry system between the 'haves and the have nots'. State school students are not allowed to do the easier igcse exams - but private school students are.